Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: A Clock for Geeks

Re: A Clock for Geeks 8 years 7 months ago #5532

if anyone comes up with a pre-programmed PIC for this please let me know, I dont have the technology to program one of these and would LOVE to make this clock.

Re: A Clock for Geeks 8 years 7 months ago #5533

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
The software needs some customization to go with a particular servo. Even if no linearization is needed, the end points would need adjusting for a given servo. When the "throw-away PIC" boards come, I could possibly a servo and a board with a programmed PIC on it.....

On the other hand, the free version of Swordfish should be able to handle this program, and a PICKit 2 programmer is only $35, so this might be a good excuse to start programming on your own.

I recently got some micro servos from Hobbypartz.com for less than $3 which should work great for this.

Re: A Clock for Geeks 8 years 7 months ago #5534

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
I've been working on a better way to calibrate the servo for both the end points and to correct any non-linearities a given servo might have. With the first clock, I used the brute force approach to find the end points and modified/reloaded the program to find the exact points. For determining the linearity, I printed values to an LCD on my development board while in the "fast set" mode.

An easier method, and also a nice method to set the clock, is to use a pot to fed one of the analog input pins while printing values to the serial port. Dial the pot the correct position and print the pulse width to either the hardware or software UART. The PICKit 2 is handy for getting this data to the PC. The same method could also be used to set the time. Turn the pot to make the hand line up with the correct time and press a switch to load it.

Re: A Clock for Geeks 8 years 7 months ago #5535

EDIT: would appear that image support within comments has been broken in a recent update - the download link is still completely functional though.

Well done Jon, you've got me making one of these already!

Thanks for sharing the clock faces - will make life a lot easier for those making one their own geek clocks. I was looking for a slightly different style to the clock face, and after an hour or two of *re-learning* my image editing software I had something that appeared half decent.

It's a high resolution 120 degree clock face dial (8081x5001 pixels) which would suit a very large clock face should the need arise. It can be easily down scaled in most image editing programs to suit smaller clocks (simply downscale the size of the image - various ways of doing this in different programs).

Download here http://digital-diy.com/file-browser/doc ... kface.html

I've still got the project files and can make changes of any type if required.

PS - There is a 5 degree 'comfort' factor on either end of the scale, physically making it exactly 110 Degrees

Re: A Clock for Geeks 8 years 7 months ago #5536

I dragged my old parallax servo out and bread board you SCH loaded your bas and compiled in swordfish clock works fine I like it good job Jon

Re: A Clock for Geeks 8 years 7 months ago #5537

Looked at both clocks and keep reading about linearity.
I wonder if a "mouse wheel" with optical sensors would be a way to shut off the servos when the correct time is needed.
Needle needs to be moved to the next hour so the servo turns on then the sensors shut off the servo.
Just an idea
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds