Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Building a New Legacy PC and Will Do An Image Test

Building a New Legacy PC and Will Do An Image Test 3 years 4 months ago #17723

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hi Guys! I am building a new legacy (older but not obsolete hardware) machine today and thought I would share my experience. This will give me an opportunity to test image posting for Graham as well. :)

It's not actually an embedded project (reason I posted in the lounge) but we all use PC's for our work and I thought it might be of some interest.

The PC is a quad core AMD (AMD Athlon X4 860K Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD860KXBJABOX Desktop Processor (BLACK EDITION)) on a Gigabyte motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3HP (rev. 1.0) FM2+ AMD A88X (Bolton D4) ) using a Cooler Master after-market cooler (Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan), DDR3 RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL), in a RAIDMAX Vortex V3 ATX-403WB Black Steel case. The system will use a the previous system's Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm 1tb drive (not my choice, I wanted to use a Samsung Pro 240gb SSD). Power supply is the solid and proven Antec Earthwatts 380 (Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible). It might not be enough, but because we are not installing a video card, it should be enough.

The price of everything minus additional PWM case fans and the hard drive is about $350 USD and I'm excited about it. I'm an Intel guy, but I needed to build something cheap and close to the specs of a blown machine for a friend/client. I'm so excited about this build, I may build a couple for myself!

We opted not to add a video card since the mobo supports HDMI, DVI, and even VGA and the client only surfs the internet and pays bills. The option is certainly viable though. I might test this one with a 9800GT to see it's gaming possibilities, and rendering some 3DS Max designs. :D

Where I am at currently is "TINTING" the heatsink and processor using Arctic Silver 5. Then it gets fun installing this MONSTER aftermarket cooler! There is actually a back plate to hold the weight. It uses a 120mm fan so it's a monster. So much so that I had to order a new case with enough clearance to support it. lol

Images coming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Chandler

Building a New Legacy PC and Will Do An Image Test 3 years 4 months ago #17726

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
The images will be appreciated to figure out the problems with the forum. be80be and anybody else are welcome to post images to help in troubleshooting - probably best to start a new forum thread for that.

My recommendations are to include one image per post and include the image size, file size and image format. If any image in the post doesn't work, chances are none of them will.

Building a New Legacy PC and Will Do An Image Test 3 years 4 months ago #17728

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Will do! I'm sorry, hoped to have images to post by now. I got caught up in a Linux snag on my main server. Consumed two days of my time. All is good now and I'll go back after this Saturday.

I agree, a separate forum thread for the image thing is best, but since I am going stress the site to its limits with this project, with video, images, etc, I thought it would be a good test. :)

Building a New Legacy PC and Will Do An Image Test 3 years 4 months ago #17729

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
One thing I did notice... Youtube feature does not work with condensed web addresses. Only the full addresses work. FYI.

Building a New Legacy PC and Will Do An Image Test 3 years 4 months ago #17730

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Another thing I noticed... preview of the post including image attachments included in the post do not show until the post is posted. Is that just me?
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds