Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: WOW! My Head is Swimming!

WOW! My Head is Swimming! 3 years 4 months ago #17643

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
I decided to play a little bit, to see if I could create a board for my home use that takes advantage of the ATMEGA328P, the ESP8266 at the modular level, include a couple of 74HCT125's for low latency level shifting, two regulators (3.3v and 5v), a few transistors, a couple of mosfets, a MCP2221, a few LED's, connectors, etc.

It was when I got to the ATMEGA328P that I decided to play a little, to see if the costs would blow up if I considered an ARM CORTEX processor. That's when the train came off the tracks, the wheels fell off, whatever your analogy. There are STM32 F103RCBT6 devices out there IN BOARDS for a couple of bucks more? REALLY? 32 bit processing and a wealth of I/O for few bucks more? My head is swimming!!!

It's crazy-embedded-enabled out there my GOD! Imagine not just knowing the pantry door is open, but getting data about how fast it was opened and even closed using an accelerometer module! Why? WHO KNOWS? Maybe I want to know how rough my daughter is on the doors in the house. Yeah! Big Brother takes over as a title instead of head of household!

The fact is, it's super-sizing at a very cheap price! Imagine a battery of these processors to tell the flight controller what is ahead as an object avoidance system. Decisions pilots would make but at a fraction of a millisecond. I can imagine a quad copter flying full speed 2 feet off the deck through tree branches and other obstacles, making minor adjustments for wind and air density. All algorithm-based. Following what humans already do but without bias, indecision, and much faster! Learning as it goes using FPGA. Tracking my Jeep's location as I am driving and landing in the back without damage.

I'm self-indulging in fantasy here, but holy cow the technology at ridiculous prices.

All I want to do right now though is program my target processor over my wireless LAN. A board that has all that in it without costing a ton of money. Right now, the building blocks for that alone are looking to be very cheap! I am getting very close to that goal being achieved. What a dream that will be realized... an MCU that does something for me where I can rewrite it's firmware and burn it in from remote on my wireless LAN. WOW! No more taking it out of it's deployed location and connecting via USB to my main machine. :O

Thanks for tolerating my self-indulgence! It helped me think, now I'm getting to work on it! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Chandler

WOW! My Head is Swimming! 3 years 4 months ago #17644

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
LOL, now back firmly feet-planted on Earth, I am working on level shifting and what I need to do to do it cheaply. It looks like the 74HCT125 is my answer. I have a ton of them in various packages, including DIP. I'm on it today. :D
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds