Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Dropped in to say HI!

Dropped in to say HI! 4 years 2 weeks ago #17129

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hey Guys,

Just dropped in to say HI. I do not come here too often lately because I haven't been working with MicroChip processors at all. Mostly now, I work with the RPi2 and the BeagleBone Black Version C. I also work a lot with the Teensy 3.1 and the Arduino Pro Mini. Most of my work has been programming, scripts, etc. I will be back more frequently as I start interfacing my PIC collection to my ARM LINUX embedded systems. It would be silly not to use that stock. Great processors and more than capable of handling dedicated tasks at the core level.

But back when I did not have an embedded solution to anything unless I used a PIC, this site was there for me, and so were the people. I will ALWAYS come back here to see what is going on, and to pick up a thing or two, or ten! :D

So I wanted to say hi and read up, mostly on whatever Jon Chandler has posted. He's my EEVBLOG dude here. A monster wealth of information!!!

Take care and reach out to me ANYTIME via PM or email (not sure how this site handles that). Don't want to post my email not knowing how spammers are exploiting this wonderful site at present. You can reach me at my HopWorks facebook page at HopWorks Facebook
Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by hop.

Dropped in to say HI! 4 years 2 weeks ago #17130

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Hi Hop,

Glad to see you're still around!

This place has been very dead recently; it's hard to be enthused about writing something when nobody even comments on it.

I should do an update on my FAA project that's been kicking around here for over three years. They finally came through with some funding last fall. Demo units are in place in control towers in the northwest, with little feedback. I consider that an excellent result – if things work exactly as expected every time, there's not much to say.

The last roadblock to national acceptance has agreed that this is the best possible approach. I have a meeting scheduled in a week to discuss somewhere between a hundred to 1200 units! This could be a considerable amount of money.

There have been some lessons learned along the way. The second batch of 20 was redesigned slightly to eliminate the pigtails for connecting the switches – a stack of two boards costs a bit more in parts but improves reliability and cuts a bunch of assembly time.

Another frustrating part of the project was the panels. Originally, an FAA group was supposed to supply aluminum panels, but they dropped the ball. It was decided that a laser-cut acrylic panel would be acceptable; finding a material with the right properties was a challenge. The bigger challenge turned out to be cutting and engraving the material. The original vendor ended up destroying about twice as much material as should have been needed. The second vendor also had a learning curve because of the unique characteristics of the material we had to use but the results are awesome.

More on this after I figure out where we're headed... The picture below is one on the units in a stand-alone enclosure for a training center – most of them are console-mounted.

Sorry....I don't know why the picture is rotated! It's right-side-up on my iPad.

Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Jon Chandler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Dropped in to say HI! 4 years 2 weeks ago #17131

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Is ketchup the secret sauce for the circuit to work? :-)

Nice to see you two are still alive. :-)
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Dropped in to say HI! 4 years 2 weeks ago #17132

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Ketchup is important to my work style! :)

I met my client at a restaurant actually.

Dropped in to say HI! 4 years 2 weeks ago #17133

• bitfogav
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 53
Hello Hop and Jon

I still visit here now and again to see if there's anything new, but it has been a little quiet :unsure:

Dropped in to say HI! 4 years 2 weeks ago #17135

• RangerBob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 48
Hi Hop,

Same here with me recently. Been very busy at work; PICs still going strong there, but in my personal time I've been playing around lots with ESP8266 modules. I might try and put together an article for here about them later, but in a nutshell:
Arduino / C++ IDE, built in wifi station and AP modes, 80MHz 32bit processor, 96KBytes Ram, 4MByte Instruction flash. All for less then £5! (nodeMCU dev board £4.70!). Wifi shields, standard arduinos and PICs are totally outclassed as far as I'm concerned!
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds