Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: TAP-28 Plus and Other Boards Gerber File Deal

TAP-28 Plus and Other Boards Gerber File Deal 4 years 4 months ago #17081

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Marty is the first to take me up on the deal for the TAP-28 Plus Gerbers. As I've explained, the board fab situation has really changed when I first offered the TAP-28 boards to Digital-DIY. Back then, the only way to get printed circuit boards was to order a large lot – a hundred or more. Ordering 200 boards at a time allowed me to offer three for $20.

These days, the Chinese fab houses offer 10 copies of a 100mm x 100mm board for less than $20. There's no need to purchase large lots to get reasonably priced boards and it doesn't make much sense to offer boards for sale.

I do like to share my boards; I design for generic applications, making my boards a good platform for many projects. I recently updated the TAP-28 board to include an I2C driver for an LCD. I'm using these boards for many applications, the current project being a controller for LED strips lighting up glass stair risers. The electronics is the easy part of this project!

The offer I've made for the TAP-28 Plus is I'll give you the Gerber files so you can order boards from the fab house of your choice in exchange for a couple boards from your first order. For less than $20, you get 8 copies of a board and I feel somewhat rewarded for my efforts to create the board. A win–win situation.

I've decided to add my 7-segment display board in this deal too. This board uses one or two 0.56" 4 digit displays using an serial shift register output with a MAX7219 driver chip.

I've included a new board too. Most projects need some kind of user interface. I created a board with 7 tactile switches and 9 LEDs that can be used in many ways, via an I2C interface. I think it's going to be useful but I haven't done much with it yet.

If you'd like to build some of these boards for yourself, I'll send you the Gerber files that any fab house will be able to use if you agree to send two boards of the first lot you have made. Part of my motivation is to have plenty of boards to work with but also, I'm interested in comparing the quality of different fab houses. Send me a message if you're interested.
Attachments:

TAP-28 Plus and Other Boards Gerber File Deal 4 years 4 months ago #17082

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
By the way...the switch caps shown on the switch board are nice. The top part is 11.8mm in diameter, with a larger rim on the bottom. Mounted through a 3mm panel, the button extends about a millimeter above the panel and feels good to press. These caps are available in red, green, yellow, blue, black, white and gray.
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds