TOPIC: Winds of change over at PDS

Re: Winds of change over at PDS 6 years 9 months ago #16347

• RangerBob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 48
Looks like a big upheaval over at Proton:

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthread ... ser-status

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthread ... -Statement

I really do hope this will end some of the rabid paranoia that seems to abound over there. It's certainly one of the reasons which turned me off using PDS in the first place! (And before some zealot pops up and accuses me of being a pirate, (Yarrrh! ) successfully driven from their hallowed ground; I am a fully licensed user grandfathered in from the LET Basic Days.)

Interesting to hear that Proton 24 will be open sourced. Interesting times all round methinks!

Re: Winds of change over at PDS 6 years 9 months ago #12497

• Roger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi RangerBob,

Interesting change of business approach methinks.

What is most puzzling is that Proton24 has been available for years, but apparently used only within Crownhill. I don't understand the business rationale of that.

roger

Re: Winds of change over at PDS 6 years 9 months ago #12523

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
A change in attitude? Me thinks not. Here is what I was greater with when I clicked the first link. In order to read the forum, you have to accept their terms of use. This is usually a requirement for posting in, not reading a forum.

But the message of the link is not but paranoia in my opinion.
We have noticed a growth in the number of Proton Users frequenting forums other than this forum. We know full well that many of those users are unlicensed, that they have been driven away from this forum by the unfriendly response they receive from us and the forum users.

We are beginning to think that this migration away from our forum, by unlicensed users is actually detrimental to the Proton BASIC Language. The dilution of users across many forum / message board platforms, has resulted in an elite group on our own forum and a plethora of ill advised users elsewhere.

The result of our vigilance and enforcement of support for licensed users only is, we believe, leading to a weakening of the understanding and use of Proton BASIC....

Of course, unlicensed users (who therefore has stolen the software) are a huge problem. It takes a large amount of time and effort to write software and the people doing so deserve to be rewarded for there efforts. If the software is stolen, the developers are deprived of payment and any incentive to do further development. But every question by an "unregistered user" can't be translated to mean a question from a thief. Legitimate purchasers may not register with the forum.

In my case, Crownhill has refused to recognize me as a legitimate owner of the software - a friend of mine purchased Proton, quickly found it not to his liking and gave it to me in its entirety. Disks, manual, key and development board. Everything except a copy of his original receipt, without which, Crownhill refused to recognize me as a legitimate user.

The above message sounds a lot like the "amicus means friend" message on hyper-paranoid Amicus site.
Attachments:

Re: Winds of change over at PDS 6 years 9 months ago #12524

• RangerBob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 48
Hey Jon, Rome wasn't built in a day! Takes time for the medication to kick in for a few of their more rabid users ....

I agree that time will tell if this is a positive change; nice words don't mean a lot by themselves and actions always speak louder than words. They obviously do have an issue with actual pirates (not the "Yarr! Repel the boarders!" kind, but you know), and appear to be taking a bold step in combating/ignoring them by releasing to all and sundry.

As I said, Interesting times!

Re: Winds of change over at PDS 6 years 9 months ago #12525

• MMcLaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 30
Forgive me, I'm not familiar with the Amicus board. Is the Amicus board design and the version of BASIC that supports it "open source"?

Re: Winds of change over at PDS 6 years 9 months ago #12526

• Roger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 1
MMcLaren,

No, the Amicus board and software was to allow interested users to experience the full ProtonBasic compiler, but limited to only two pic chips. I have no idea whether this worked as a business innovation, but the amicus board was useful for a quick setup.

Jon,

You are now a fully paid up member of the ProtonBasic community, receipts are no longer needed, has just been declared by Lester. I think an elemenmt of panic is spreading in the Halls of Crownhill!

roger
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds