Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Embedded Addiction Solution

Re: Embedded Addiction Solution 6 years 9 months ago #16334

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hey guys!

I have to find an Embedded Addiction Solution! I have put gaming completely aside since... well, since the start of my Halloween 2012 thread! WHOA! THAT'S AMAZING! (insert MAJOR URGE to fire up World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Star Trek)...

Ehem. Anyway, all I have been doing each and every single day, is work on my Halloween embedded projects. Even at the expense of the newsletter, which I seriously need to address today and tomorrow.

But WOW! Oh my freaking GOD have I learned so much!!! I never EVER expected to be working comfortably with PIC32's at this stage of the game, let alone designing my own boards from schematics I am authoring, even populating those boards with SMT technology myself using amazing creations from Jon Chandler and Matt.

And now I am writing a compiler for the script language I created for PWM LED EFFECTS. All for flashy pumpkins.

I do not know who said it here, but it's a project that hits home that begins it all. I did what any true game-playing maze explorer does. I went down EVERY SINGLE dirt road off the beaten path and scarfed up the knowledge I found.

I should be able to post You Tube videos and images, code, schematics, and board layouts soon. All you guru's will laugh probably, at how something so simple can become so complex. I know you understand Matt. It's just too much fun to add NASA quality features to a very simple expected outcome.

But again, oh wow! CRC on UART packets! Balancing ISR's to avoid stutters, using RS485 to communicate over distance! Using a simple proprietary scripting language to script the patterns for the PWM LED effects. And so much more! Moving peripherals around on pins, generating timing signals for needy SPI devices, selecting the right SMD LED based on wavelength, current, voltage, and viewing angle, and PRICE!

It's been a large ride for sure, and I loved every minute of it!

More coming soon. In the threads I started. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice, and info, and patience. =)

Re: Embedded Addiction Solution 6 years 9 months ago #12434

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 62
You should try taking up skydiving, or lion taming.

Re: Embedded Addiction Solution 6 years 9 months ago #12445

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
You should try taking up skydiving, or lion taming.
Done skydiving, and the lion taming too if you look at all I had to learn on this project as a metaphoric example.

That's the really funny part. I see the patterns unfold on two simple 10 LED bar graphs, and the UART messages being spewed out on my putty client, and I KNOW all the complexities that went into that happening. But in the end, it's just a flashy LED show.

The REAL GOLD that was reaped from this project was ALL THE KNOWLEDGE I have gained. I have some serious projects planned for the near future, using these same components and technology I have learned, and I am really excited about how much easier it will be to make those projects a reality.

And that is definitely what keeps me going every day when I sit at my lab bench.

And Matt, the first one I do after the smoke clears from Halloween, is that logic analyzer we talked about. I am going to build one that pushes the limits of the MX795 and USE IT! OH MY GOD how I needed one on this project. And a frequency generator/counter, and finally a scope. A modded toaster oven for SMT, etc. etc. lol

Re: Embedded Addiction Solution 6 years 9 months ago #12446

Diablo 3 quickly gets mind-numbing.. No where near as neuron tingling compared to looking under the hood of a PIC32

Perhaps electronics was your subliminally inspired hobby to replace gaming?
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds