Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Are YOU a Terrorist?

Re: Are YOU a Terrorist? 6 years 10 months ago #16316

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Dave at EEVBlog posted a link to this US terrorist advisory notice.

Things to watch out for include:

Fills a “shopping list” of components lacking knowledge about specifications and uses

Travels illogical distance to purchase items or asks where similar stores are located

Purchases including unusual combinations of]

This sounds like a fun day of shopping to me! I wish I didn't have to travel an illogical distance to even find a store with all these things!
Attachments:

Re: Are YOU a Terrorist? 6 years 10 months ago #12346

• Jon Chandler
One good thing... It would be extremely difficult to build much of anything from the parts you can buy at RadioShack

I wonder if this is the reason some of the sales people, who really have almost no knowledge of electronics, often ask "what a building?" I usually ignore the question since nothing I'm building from RadioShack parts is that interesting.

"I'm building a circuit to bias an ICP* bias and DC-blocking circuit for testing and injecting signals into a vibration monitor" probably wouldn't make sense anyway.

*ICP Is a registered trademark of PCB Piezotronics,p Depew, NY

Re: Are YOU a Terrorist? 6 years 10 months ago #12347

• MMcLaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 30
You may be safe, Jon. The notice doesn't mention anything about GoodWill stores (grin)...

Re: Are YOU a Terrorist? 6 years 10 months ago #12348

• W4GNS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 43
"I'm building a circuit to bias an ICP* bias and DC-blocking circuit for testing and injecting signals into a vibration monitor" probably wouldn't make sense anyway.

Actually they would say what you're trying to do is not possible. A few years ago, I went into the local Shack and started gathering material to build myself a 2 meter - 70 centimeter yagi antenna to work the satellites via Ham Radio. The clerk approched me and ask what I needed and he would help round up the parts. He then proceded to ask what I was trying to do, I explained and he stated laughing and said it was impossible, and I should not waste my time. Well I have a very short fuse, so I proceded to start cussing and belittling him, and asking for contact info for the owner which he would not supply. In future visits the dumbass never bothered to ask if I needed help again.

As far as the OP of this thread, I guess I'm a RxgHxxD as I shop for such stuff.

Re: Are YOU a Terrorist? 6 years 10 months ago #12349

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Of course I am... I purchase extrange unrelated items from china, including all the items in the list. Also, the nearest components shop is 30Km away, and is not well suplied, but they are knowlegeable.

I also ask for very common things in the hardware store (Aligator clamps, small bolts, etc...), and ask where I can find it if they don't have it.

At least, I don't mail order the garden suplies (fertilizers) and the fuel for the home heating, like the columbine copycat detained today in Spain... I, and all my neighbours, have at home all the suplies to make nice sized bombs. XD
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Re: Are YOU a Terrorist? 6 years 10 months ago #12350

• Jon Chandler
There's probably another list for Goodwill!

With the number of shipments I get from China and even India* I'm surprised a black van with tinted windows isn't parked out front!

*i've ordered glasses from Zenni Optical in India. They are high quality, at a fraction of the cost from the optical stores in the states. Progressive bifocals in decent frames cost about 1/10 of what they do from most stores here ($59 including shipping).
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds