Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Preferred PIC18F USB Chip?

Re: Preferred PIC18F USB Chip? 5 years 9 months ago #13603

• RangerBob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 48
I have to say using the newer USB 18F's which are capable of running off the internal oscillator for USB are great (and somewhat underrated as far as I can tell). Losing the crystal & loading caps is great for making tiny and/or simple boards!

Re: Preferred PIC18F USB Chip? 5 years 9 months ago #13604

> Despite all of David's efforts, it doesn't appear to be catching on

Not sure where you are getting you information from Jon, but we have sold more Firewing boards in the last 6 months than Swordfish compilers (by about x50). That looks like something that's starting to catch on to me

> What about a TAP28 for PIC24

If that's not forthcoming, try a Firewing board! In addition to PIC24 support, Firewing 32 bit is in BETA. So you can use Firewing to build projects for both PIC24 and PIC32 devices:

http://www.firewing.info/forum/download/file.php?id=28
http://www.firewing.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45&start=10

and don't forget, Firewing shields are compatible with Arduino and chipKIT!

Re: Preferred PIC18F USB Chip? 5 years 9 months ago #13605

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Sorry David. My comments are based on the activity in the Firewing forum, where I haven't noticed much action. Believe me, I very much want to see you succeed! I've been a long-time advocate of Swordfish.

Re: Preferred PIC18F USB Chip? 5 years 3 months ago #14113

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Reviving the topic: Has anybody tried the 18F25k50 without crystal? Any troubles?

Also: As I understand, VUSB3V3 is only needed if I use a 3.3V external regulator and pullups. If not, just put a cap to ground. I'm right?

And last: My device will have its own power suply, and will not work from +5V USB. As I understand, I shuld left unconeccted +5V in the USB conecctor. I'm right?

Thanks in advance.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Re: Preferred PIC18F USB Chip? 5 years 3 months ago #14116

• jmessina
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 189
Has anybody tried the 18F25k50 without crystal?
I've used it, but just on the bench so I don't know how robust it is. If you're using the internal osc, but sure to enable the Active Clock Tuning (ACT)
As I understand, VUSB3V3 is only needed if I use a 3.3V external regulator and pullups. If not, just put a cap to ground. I'm right?
Yup. That chip has an internal 3V3 LDO regulator
My device will have its own power suply, and will not work from +5V USB. As I understand, I shuld left unconeccted +5V in the USB conecctor. I'm right?
If you're self-powered, you should connect the +5V from the USB connector to an input pin so you can monitor when the USB cable gets plugged/unplugged from the host. I usually use a simple voltage divider (for protection), plus it pulls the pin low when you're not connected so it doesn't float.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds