Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Schematic and PCB under Linux.

Re: Schematic and PCB under Linux. 6 years 10 months ago #16281

• Colin
  • Fresh Boarder
I hung up my soldering iron quite a few years ago, but have recently taken it down again to experiment with the slew of new uCs and SBCs now appearing. I used to use HiWire back in the DOS/Win3 days - ancient history now - and never found anything I liked better.

As a long-term Linux user I've decided to try some of the FOSS offerings. Kicad seems to have what's needed, but that's just a first try. Does anyone else have interest and/or experience in this area?

Re: Schematic and PCB under Linux. 6 years 10 months ago #11951

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 62
I use the gEDA suite on a daily basis. I tried kicad once, but couldn't get along with it. gEDA, on the other hand, fits my way of working perfectly.

gEDA's not quite as "integrated" as kicad, but I find that better, as each component has more in it. For gEDA PCB it is well worth compiling the latest version from SVN as there are quite a few very nice recent additions that haven't yet made it into main repositories.

(apt-get install geda pcb geda-utils)

Re: Schematic and PCB under Linux. 6 years 10 months ago #12100

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Learning gEDA this lasts days, and seems very interesting.

The main trouble I found to date, is, I don't know how to tell to PCB where the libraries are. It's ok with custom symbols, but i can not make PCB look for the standard libraries included with the package.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Re: Schematic and PCB under Linux. 6 years 10 months ago #12103

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 62
It should be automatically looking in /usr/share/pcb/whatever

You can manually add more paths to the library in file->preferences->library
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds