Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: EEVBlogs 244 & 245 - PCB Layout of the Power Supply

Re: EEVBlogs 244 & 245 - PCB Layout of the Power Supply 7 years 5 months ago #16081

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
I've mentioned here that Dave at the EEVBlog is designed a computer controlled power supply. The videos are extremely good at explaining the practical side of design.

EEVBlogs 244 and 245 are 10 times real time videos of laying out the circuit board for the power supply. Dave is extremely knowledgeable in PCB design and has a PCB Design Tutorial linked in the references section.

Watching these videos is a little choppy with the screen flashing back and forth but it's interesting to watch a pro at work. As you'll see if you watch the video, it's a matter of trial and improvement to find a good board layout - what you start with may have little resemblance to the final result. I think this is a point often overlooked by non-experienced designers. The first attempt at arranging parts is probably not the best and ripup/rework is just part of the process.

I like one tip of Dave's. If the circuit has functional blocks, say the power supply components, arrange them off of the board into a workable group, getting all the parts nicely positioned with respect to each other. When a good arrangement is found, drag the block into the right position on the board. A few more adjustments may be needed of course but it's easier to work away from everything else.

EEVblog #244 – PSU Design Part 9 – PCB Layout

EEVblog #245 – PSU Design Part 10 – PCB Layout Editing
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds