Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Andy's Geeky Clock

Re: Andy's Geeky Clock 8 years 7 months ago #15212

• andyo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 14
I thought Jon Chandler’s Clock for Geeks was a great project and his idea to make a clock with two dials in a VU meter type setup was brilliant.  This is my take on that idea.

Read full article...

Re: Andy's Geeky Clock 8 years 6 months ago #5450

• bitfogav
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 53
Very professional job! Im quite interested how your USB communicates with your PC application, something ive always wanted to do

Re: Andy's Geeky Clock 8 years 6 months ago #5451

• andyo
  • Fresh Boarder
I had USB comms in the "too hard" pile for a long time - it was only when Graham published his iHID: digital-diy.com/.../... program (with explanation) on the forum that I decided to take the plunge. That, and Jon's top tip: digital-diy.com/.../... about a cap on the Vusb pin made it all make sense! The Swordfish USBHID library takes care of the heavy-lifting on the PIC side.

Happy to share the source for my PC app but to be honest it's just a different front-end to Graham's iHID code - let me know if you want to see it though.

Perhaps there's scope for an article demonstrating a "hello world" type application using USB comms between a PIC and a PC?

Re: Andy's Geeky Clock 8 years 6 months ago #5452

• bitfogav
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 53
I would be greatful to see your source code of your PC app, it looks quite a tool if im honest for your clock design.

Im definitely going to look into USB on my next project, like you I used to think USB seems "too hard"! but I actually have some 18F4550 and a 18F2550 kicking about..

Re: Andy's Geeky Clock 8 years 6 months ago #5453

• andyo
  • Fresh Boarder
No worries - source code here: http://digital-diy.com/Download-documen ... ource.html

Give us a shout if you need anything clarified or explained.

Re: External Interrupts: Interfacing a Scroll-Wheel Switch 8 years 6 months ago #5454

I'm floored by how good this looks, from the inside-out. From the well thought out design, real subtle mix of technology with old materials, and it even has a USB port! You should consider using this as a prototype for mass-production!

One could even put 8-segement displays behind the front to display different data (not just Hours (h) and Minutes (m), but possibly bandwidth usage, email notifications, etc.

Love it!
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds