Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Pi Zero Wifi / STM32F103CBT6 Project Node Servers

Pi Zero Wifi / STM32F103CBT6 Project Node Servers 3 months 2 weeks ago #18019

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
AFTER THOUGHT to the last post...

Can you imagine the redundancy for something as simple as keeping time on my system? With several ESP8266 devices using an NTP pool to get accurate time and date info, why not just have my network home server do that and then update all the node servers on the network? Well, what if the server goes down? There needs to be some conditional coding to allow for that, but certainly use the acquired NTP data to propagate it to the rest of the system. This would certainly cut down on the calls to an NTP server and is also just doing the right thing. After all, all I could think about was my 30+ devices hammering NTP servers every minute for time syncing.

And.. if this data can be gathered from an active GPS feed, that would make this process passive. There has to be some sort of integrity check though. Last thing I need is all my little devices thinking it is 10pm on a day back in 1970 and think all is well.

So this creates a bit of a tree when it comes to conditional branching logic at the local, node, and host server level. I want all my devices as self-sustaining as possible. This way, if a major component goes offline, redundant sources of data can be utilized, all the way down to the local server node controller. This is an interesting way of thinking out autonomous operations. I am sure there is a scientific term for it in the embedded community that my simple education cannot resolve. State Machines policy perhaps. I'm all about thinking ahead.

Just wanted to add this thought to the thread. It will become important later on when everything is connected.

Thanks for listening!!
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by hop. Reason: Grievous Typo
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds