Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 5 months 2 weeks ago #17932

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
I copied my Eclipse install and all the supporting software (I kept it all in one path root) to a SSD drive and took it with me to the hospital where my wife is getting her hydration treatments. One thing I noticed is that Eclipse had a real issue with the drive letter when I plugged it into a USB3 port. I quickly assigned the same drive letter to it as the install was at home, and everything worked. Apparently, the paths stored and configured include the drive letter. Certainly worth noting!

After I fixed that, programming and compiling went along just as it did at home. So I finally have portability!! A little sync coding in linux will fix the updates between home and remote.

I was able to write and compile valid code for a simple blinking LED app and it worked on the target MCU! YAY! Success!!!! Unfortunately, at this stage of development, I had to use STM32Cube to copy and paste set up code, and then use the STM32 Utility to flash the device. At least it worked though!!!

Now the next stage of this project is to not only flash the device from inside my Eclipse CPP build, but to open up debugging as well. Also, working on getting the device setup code from Cube into my vanilla start up. Apparently, the Cube plugins are buggy at best and do not work. Copy and paste is my only answer for now, but if I cannot get an integrated solution to work, I will find or write a scripting solution.

That is where I am right now. Once I get these questions answered, I will write a tutorial to post here. Thanks!

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 5 months 2 weeks ago #17933

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Just to add to what I posted....

I am using Nucleo F411RE and STM32L152C Discovery development boards. I have not tried this with my ultimate target, the STM32F103C8T6. That's coming soon though. I already got the STM32 Utility to see that blue pill board and MCU through the STLINK V2 of each of these development boards. I am just taking baby steps to solidify my IDE.

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 5 months 2 weeks ago #17934

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
To clarify my intentions, I am excited about using a Blue Pill STM32F103C8T6 board to prototype others of its type for my embedded projects. When I get this working, I will use the same IDE to try to program the ESP8266 and write a firmware for it that will use my wireless network to program these STM32 devices via SWD. It can be done and will simplify updating programs and firmware remotely. :)

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 5 months 1 week ago #17942

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
YAY! Victory! WOOHOO!

I finally was able to create a project, build it, and flash/debug it, all from inside Eclipse. Well, almost. I still have to work out the kinks using the generated code from STM32CubeMX in my Eclipse project. It works though, on two different machines. I can now start experimenting with different processors and MCU peripherals and techniques, then I will write it all up and post it here. The key players were the OpenOCD config file I had to alter several times, USB drivers and I will probably run into issues when using my Nucleo boards. I had a successful test with a STM32L152C Discovery. They act differently when plugged in, not sure why. Only difference is that the Discovery uses a STM32F103C8T6 and the Nucleo uses a CBT6. The C8 is suppose to have 64k flash and the other CB is suppose to have 128k. I see ALL kinds of threads about how the C8T6 has 128k also. That's on my list for testing. :) Also, some custom debug settings that I discovered in a posted thread but not in any tutorials. That was the key to getting it working.

This is the GDB edition using the GNU ARM ECLIPSE approach. I tried STM32 System Workbench and although it is well supported, it just would not work for me. After jumping through a half-dozen hoops, I decided to go back to my first approach. And that one wins! And I am happy with that because I do not want my Eclipse hostage to one processor family. Remember, at the beginning of this adventure, my goal was to bring all my MCU families under one roof. I believe the GNU ARM route was the way to go. I'm sure there are some System Workbench aficionados out there that will argue their approach. I'll certainly listen!

It looks to be a little bit more to the core writing software this way, without Arduino IDE holding my hand. Still, this is refreshing! And the IDE is so much more capable!!! Now I can debug too and wow is there a lot of options there! ALL THROUGH SWD!

More when I know it! Finally a victory! It's been awhile since I had one and a completed project.

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 3 months 1 week ago #17947

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Well I was successful at getting Eclipse to compile, flash, and even debug the STM32 series of Arm processors, but then it became apparent that it was going to be difficult from there. For example, just using the USART for the STM32F103C8T6 requires a large amount of setup code and configuration. I certainly got what I asked for, but I did not expect the lack of hand-holding would be this great.

Still though, if you want total control and are well-versed on the STM32 Arm processors, this is the environment for you. Might also be helpful in developing I2C slave functionality for the hardwire I2C library. Support for I2C slave communications still does not exist as far as I can find.

I have to go over my notes since this little project went over several months on and off, and duplicate it with a fresh install. Then I will write it up and post it along with an Arduino plug-in solution I finally settled on which allows me to stay in the Eclipse environment but still let the Arduino libraries hold my hand.

EDIT: Here is an important afterthought I had forgotten about. STM32 CubeMX does a great job of generating the setup code for STM32 Arm processors. This might help an awful lot when designing without Arduino's help (and limitations!). I am going to play with this functionality today and see if works for me.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by hop. Reason: Afterthought
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds