Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 2 weeks 1 hour ago #17921

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
I have started a new project that does not include a gadget, but supports them. This will be a cross-compiling Eclipse project that will allow me to write software for a variety of embedded hardware and debian linux, and program those devices from the same IDE.

Can it be done? Certainly. Can I do it? Probably. This topic will include my progress through the dark and scary rabbit holes I go into along the way to my goal. An Eclipse IDE that allows me to write software for all my embedded gadgets, web interfaces that support them, including database support, using multiple languages. And allow me to deploy that code into whatever device that is targeted.

It is basically getting all my tools under one roof. It's a big long-overdue undertaking I have been working towards for years.

My message to my current strategies and processes, quoting Star Wars - The Emperor and Darth Vader.
"They would be a great asset. Can it be done?"
"They will join us or die, my master."

More when I know it and code it.

I already ran into issues with the portability of my current IDE installs of Eclipse. I need a multi-machine development environment that involves my home network. So far, not so good.

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 1 week 23 hours ago #17925

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, did a lot of research and ready to try a bunch of different approaches. I am going to try a Windows 10 installed solution first, then test Debian Linux installed solutions using VirtualBox VM's. I want an IDE so not really ready to dig into command line only solutions just yet. I am not a big fan of Eclipse and I will say that right up front. I used Eclipse Mars for web development for a couple of projects and moved quickly to NetBeans. Not sure if NetBeans would even work for this and that has me sad to some extent. I spent many hours in that IDE and feel comfortable there.

The goals here though, and the accepted standard to reach them, seems to be all Eclipse so here we go again!

The goals are to be able to compile C++ and deploy it (program the target device) from Eclipse using OpenOCD and Cygwin. I will be using a STLINK V2 interface. The target devices for now are STM32 ARM devices.

That's where I'm at. More when I know it.

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 6 days 1 hour ago #17926

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, this is where some cross-compiling aficionados start to roll their eyes. I do not blame them! What I discovered setting this up is an amazing treasure chest of goodies I knew existed, but never knew what they could do! Two of those treasures that come to mind are Cygwin and OpenOCD. I only scratched the surfaces, but Cygwin appears to be a way to open up the world of Linux to the Windows environment, and will be used extensively for my multi-cross-compiling platform. I love (and hate) acronyms and often create them incorrectly when checked against the popular industries, so I'll do that (most likely incorrectly) here by calling it my MCCP. It looks and feels like it has CPP flavoring so it fits, at least for me. :) OpenOCD, and no, I'm not talking about openly relating to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which sounds like an oxymoron to me actually. This allows me to use my STLINK to program my devices with the code I create in Eclipse. I am a long way off yet in getting that to work, but it is coming. And I am really excited about that!

So far, I have Eclipse Neon 3 installed with the CDT (C++ Development Tools) plug in installed. I also have Cygwin installed and my environmental path updated to include its root directory. I added gcc: g++, make, and GDB packages as well.

For now, I am just going to step through the tutorials and create a few C++ apps to get a feel for the IDE. I will worry about creating code for the STM32F103C8T6 a little bit later, and how to get that code not only uploaded into the device, but use the debug environment to debug my test code.

As an afterthought, I am a little undecided on what hardware project I want to test designing my software for. At first I wanted to use my positional lighting project (another thread) to use with this. But after thinking about it, something more simple, like a light control module with MQTT support, seem easier. After all, the lighting project needs a control module for the positioning motors, and yet another for the lighting and camera support. I do not have any experience controlling stepper motors nor do I have any controllers for that yet.

More when I discover and code it! :)
Last Edit: 6 days 1 hour ago by hop. Reason: Grammatical Infractions

Cross Platform Software Development IDE Project with Eclipse 4 days 1 hour ago #17929

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
All kinds of issues with this, that, and the other. That's the problem with tutorials that are out of date, about software that changes a lot over revisions. No worries. I backed up quite a bit from two other strategies I tried and went after GNU ARM. So far, everything is working great to the point I am pushing to, but like all things Eclipse, there is a lot of configuring and problem solving to do.

I am half-tempted to write a cron job that checks a directory on my linux server for new binary hex files and handle the uploading from there. That's a hack though. And it certainly does not solve my need for debugging using SWD and STLINK V2. Baby steps. Have to be patient and get the compiling right first. Then handle the debugging and SWD. The tools are there and installed. Just have to navigate through the rabbit holes and solve each issue one at a time.

In the end, the grass will be much greener on the side I jumped off the fence to. My apologies for the stale analogies. I want to be much more organized on the classes I write, the blocks of functional code I author. I am convinced this is the best OPEN SOURCE route to go. I'm sticking with it. Arduino IDE is good and has been good to me, but I breached its limits and need more whilst coding. Thus the effort.
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds