Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Has Anyone Gone After Replacing Their Home A/C Controller?

Has Anyone Gone After Replacing Their Home A/C Controller? 2 years 11 months ago #17812

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hi Guys!
I wanted to know if any of you have gone after replacing your home's air conditioning controller with something you cooked up at home? If so, I am very interested in what you know. I want to do that with mine. Oh yeah, with all the freaking bells and whistles too! Network connected, etc.

I have a good controller, but it sucks really. It's solid, but the data entry is so 1980's and there has to be a better way. What I need to know is what commercial controllers use as far as signals. What voltage is used to trigger the AC unit? Where does the temp reading come from? Etc.

This project goes right along-side my sprinkler controller project too. I want LAN CONTROL! I want to be able to set it using my phone. All that I can do, but I need to know what is at the heart of the controller as far as specs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your valuable time!!

Has Anyone Gone After Replacing Their Home A/C Controller? 2 years 11 months ago #17813

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
ADDED - I am going to do this one right! With a touch screen that gives all sorts of info. Profile settings, able to get sensor data from various locations, etc. Redundancy in case the network is down! I already have backup servers that can take over in case my home server goes belly up when we are out of town. Battery backup.

I am writing a list. NEVER AGAIN will I slave through those awful controls to set my environment schedule.

Jesus... the image upload limit is still in effect. SIGH!

Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by hop.

Has Anyone Gone After Replacing Their Home A/C Controller? 2 years 11 months ago #17814

• be80be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 90
There really simple but there is already thermostats that talk to your phone over network.
The one you posted is a good one I think it's got a ARM in it I got one here some where lol.
There 24 volt AC use a diode to read temp on most of them not really hard to make your own but there are things to watch out for.
you don't want your outdoor unit turning off and on really fast you'll be buying a new one.
Some make on cool, and some make on heat if you have gas heat it's even simpler.
I've not installed any of the network ones I work on apartments more then the nicer homes that would pay for one.
And really less is always better for apartments because they would keep playing with it and lock it out to long. LOL
I've seen people keep changing them so the AC keeps restarting the timer for a hour the the lockout was set and they wait and the AC not come on and reset it and wait some more LOL
Get one of these be easy to mod www.nationalequipmentparts.com/products/...GzX1HwZfXxoCSabw_wcB
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Has Anyone Gone After Replacing Their Home A/C Controller? 2 years 11 months ago #17815

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
We have the Iris system sold by Lowe's. It's been a pretty solid system that supports a thermostat as well as various switches, alarm sensors and so on. It lets you set the thermostat from your smartphone anywhere in the world as well as having all the timing and setback options.

The thermostat is powered by AA batteries, 4 I think, which last more than a year.

They sell packages of a thermostat and hub. The thermostat uses zigbee for communication, and the system supports many 3rd party devices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Has Anyone Gone After Replacing Their Home A/C Controller? 2 years 11 months ago #17816

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
I really like your suggestions guys, and I have to thank you for saving me from myself. All I really wanted to do was to change the graphic user interface. The functionality of the device is strong already, and tested, and proven. Mine would not be, and if something were to go wrong, like an unforeseen error, I could damage my AC unit.

I mean of COURSE I would test it outside of the system, and make sure I had adequate hysteresis with the switching. I have already done that with numerous slow-changing conditions monitoring to avoid oscillation. But I do not want to handle this vital role myself. I just want to control how the data is entered and used. I'll explore your offered options and others too. It's a bench project for sure.

Thanks again!!
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds