Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Controlling 4 pin PWM PC Case Fans with an MCU

Controlling 4 pin PWM PC Case Fans with an MCU 3 years 1 month ago #17756

• be80be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 90
Ant thing newer then 2000 all the four wire are that I've seen lot of the 3 wire was tack only even the cpu fan you over drive them they make smoke

Controlling 4 pin PWM PC Case Fans with an MCU 3 years 1 month ago #17757

• jmessina
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 189
Are all 4 wire fans set up for PWM comtrol?
Yeah, 4-wire fans are PWR, GND, TACH, and PWM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Chandler

Controlling 4 pin PWM PC Case Fans with an MCU 3 years 1 month ago #17758

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
From what I read and understand now is that the fans have their own controller, and even designed to still run at a predetermined lowest speed if the PWM is flat. This is to prevent a cooling failure if the PWM control fails.

So I'm not sure how you would over drive these types of fans except for a higher than 12v voltage, and yeah, I can see where that would fry the controller. Not sure why you would want to overdrive the fans anyway. At least with newer gear. Most of my designs use SSD's now, and if heat is an issue, you just up to a liquid cooling solution.

I just want a module I can plug in, wire up and go. Something the size of a 2.5" SSD, programmed to think like I do independent of the PC entirely, except for a MQTT link or even serial or USB. Sure, with modern motherboards, you can control the fans using software, but most I have seen sucks, especially Gigabyte's crap software. Why would I want such a vital system to be reliant on Windows anyway? lol. And to port it to Linux would be a chore.

Nope. Something simple and embedded. Using sensors and following a set of programmed rules. A link to a linux server via MQTT for adjustments or data-acquisition maybe, but mostly autonomous. And it can handle the lighting too, even flooding the inside of the case with bright white light when opened, fed from stand-by power or something independent. There are a lot of options and I haven't thought them all through yet.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by hop. Reason: Grammar
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds