Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: ESP8266 and a Pro Mini on MQTT (Mosquitto)

ESP8266 and a Pro Mini on MQTT (Mosquitto) 3 years 4 months ago #17735

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted. I got super busy with a new position at work.

I just wanted to drop a note that my project that uses a ESP8266 Development module (ESP-12E I think) tied to a pro mini via UART serial and linked on my home server's MQTT is working great! I got a little bogged down in the web code trying to write my own JS control , and that is still happening, but I can turn my desk lights on and off and control the parameters easily with a web page served by my home server on my local network, from any of my connected devices. It's been up for about a month now and still no issues. I had to reboot the system today however, but because I did some freaking stuff with the web code.

Once I put in system status polling, and a watch dog timer scheme on both platforms, I should see more reliability. And my MQTT enabled candle light controller has been running for over 4 months now without a reboot. Still reporting light levels and allowing manual control of the system. All via wireless and my MQTT network.

The MQTT package on Debian Jessy is quirky, but with some scripting, it's reliable. Mostly system reboot stuff. I have not seen a single failure of the system so long as the host doesn't have to reboot. I have not been able to get it to run on a raspberry pi or beagle bone black yet, but on my home server quad core, it's solid.

jQuery for this sort of thing is the bomb! I can see status messages, see if a system is online, and control whatever I want. This is just a lion waiting in the tall grass for a kill when I finally get time to link ALL my embedded systems to the network. I'm excited.

More when I know it. Take care!
ADDITIONAL: I am going after a DIY sprinkler irrigation controller that is completely ESP8266 and PIC 32MX795, and tied to my home server. With ground moisture sensors, humidity and temp sensors, and bio-metric pressure sensors. Autonomous and network controlled. My existing Hunter controller is good, but I can do better. I'm excited!!!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by hop. Reason: Post Post Thought...

ESP8266 and a Pro Mini on MQTT (Mosquitto) 3 years 4 months ago #17736

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Awesome!

I'm still frustrated - I can't get AT commands to work on my ESP-8266 modules.

Hop, check your private messages please.

ESP8266 and a Pro Mini on MQTT (Mosquitto) 3 years 4 months ago #17737

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Thank you Jon! I don't think the Private Messages call out is big enough, and neither is the text size when posting on this site. Needs to be bigger. Maybe I'm just old!

Why bother with the AT commands, or LUA at all? I don't want to offend any LUA or AT command purists here, RangerBob chime in anytime if you get time... lol

But since I immediately gave up on the LUA interpreter, and the AT commands entirely, I went with programming all my ESP8266's with Arduino IDE and never been happier. I don't have the hang or lock-up issues others have complained about. Yes, it has happened, but now it is VERY occasional, like weeks between events. They could be power surges on my power grid for all I know. I'm sure some good watch-dog code will fix that. As a matter of fact, I set all my new embedded stuff, even the pro mini modules to reset via code daily, and a few have watchdog code in them to where they do not get a signal from the host in a set period of time, they reboot. Doesn't hurt anything, maybe a pause in lighting for a few 10's of milliseconds. I have "keep-alive" messages flying all over my MQTT network. There are so many options for this type of redundancy, I'm worried.... because I'm the guy that over-designs and plans for every eventuality. I like options but I tend to exploit them all! Anyway, I then I throw those anomalies at my gear to test the reaction. It's fun, and it's just code. :) Mostly.

I know it doesn't address your AT command issues, but I look at AT commands as a USART serial interpreted language of sorts that can ALL be implemented directly in code. After all, AT commands to old modems of the 80's and 90's were just using a doorway to an embedded system collection of subsystems. Why not just go direct?

Is it possible you are needy with coding in C or C++? A super intelligent sharp chap like yourself undoubtedly with an electrical engineering degree should be able to get your head around it in a weekend. I did, WITHOUT that degree.

Let me know if you need guidance. I have made serious headway, and I'm not even close to what RangerBob has done. Burt is his name??

ESP8266 and a Pro Mini on MQTT (Mosquitto) 3 years 4 months ago #17739

• be80be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 90
At jon you can't get AT too work because you more then likely have ESP that don't have AT in the firmware It happens all the time. Most of them come preloaded with a lua program that run's some http server. That's a fact. I posted The easytest tool to read what's on these after you find out flash it with a AT frimware
Check this out benlo.com/esp8266/esp8266QuickStart.html
Yes it's about LUA but that's not the point the point is it tell's you how to flash the ESP the right way then grab www.electrodragon.com/w/ESP8266_AT_Commands
Theres a lot of bull about what firmware on a ESP after the ESP-12 most all come with LUA. At was removed for a while because they used a SDK that wasn't free to use.
They now got one with MIT license something like that it's was still a I took Bobs and he didn't say I could so Bill let me use HIs kind of deal lol.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by be80be.

ESP8266 and a Pro Mini on MQTT (Mosquitto) 3 years 4 months ago #17740

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
I've tried to load other versions of the firmware without success. I haven't had time to look into it any further.
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds