Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices

MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices 3 years 5 months ago #17631

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
There are threads here about this courtesy of the usual great contributors here.

I am not looking to create this for the masses, but certainly for my bench. I won't use FTDI anymore so I needed an option. That arrived courtesy of Microchip through their samples program a few days ago. The MCP2221.

So now I'm bread-boarding it in hopes I can program my 3.3v and 5v devices with it via USB from my host machine(s). Any information would be helpful since I haven't jumped into using it with popular IDE's like Arduino, Eclipse, etc. The manual for the MCP2221 is 80 pages!!! WOW this device is capable!

And I haven't really found anyone really using it for this yet. Go figure! It's cheap, very capable, able to handle the 3.3v or 5v issue nicely.

I plan to dive into this chip with both feet this weekend. I have three so I hope I do not kill them in the process. They are DIP so I can use them now. The others I got, the CH340G in SOP16 but realized I didn't have a breakout to use this just yet. They are on the way. From China though so have to wait a few weeks to try these also.

There is a breakout from Microchip for the MCP2221, but it is $20 and not sure why. The components on that board are a fraction of the price. Sigh.

IF (A BIG IF) this device is a viable alternative for FTDI devices, I'm all for it!! Can't wait to test this baby!

If you feel like sharing what you know, I'm all ears (or eyes lol).

MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices 3 years 5 months ago #17633

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
If I recall correctly, there are some posts about it on the EEVBlog forum.

I also got some samples but other duties have been taking priority.

MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices 3 years 5 months ago #17641

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Jon Chandler wrote:
If I recall correctly, there are some posts about it on the EEVBlog forum.

I also got some samples but other duties have been taking priority.

There is, a very long thread, and I have it book marked. :) And my SOP16 to DIP boards will be here today or tomorrow so I can try the CH340G along side.

MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices 3 years 5 months ago #17646

• MMcLaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 30
Hi Hop:

I'd like to follow your progress, too, Sir...

Cheerful regards, Mike

MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices 3 years 5 months ago #17649

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Well it will definitely be tomorrow because my boards finally showed up! But I blew it and didn't order an appropriate tip for my Hakko, for SMD. What tip would you guys recommend by the way? And what temperature? I am not using solder flux yet. Forgot to order that too. Geez!

EDIT: OMG! I just went to the Hakko site to see what tips are good for SOIC and holy toledo! I had no IDEA they made rework tips like this!!! I want them ALL! Where is my wallet? lol Hakko SMD Tips
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by hop. Reason: Discovery!

MCP2221 and Programming ALL My Devices 3 years 5 months ago #17655

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Just discovered a bad thing about the MCP2221. Apparently, its UART is slow due to a 30us gap between each byte sent. I am looking for a solution and hope there is one. The gap between bytes on the CH340 is only 1us. I will prototype with it and the CH340 also and check it on the scope.

This really does matter to me, especially since I program my ESP's at a high baud rate to save considerable time.
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds