Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 3 months ago #13123

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Yeah, I have heard that black boards can be a pain to work with but this board is pretty simple. I think I'm partial to green but I wanted to try something different.

Elecrow was good about providing info via email as the board progressed through the steps.

The board is kind of a strange thing. We replaced the stock radio in a General Motors car with a pretty cool Pioneer "entertainment system" that uses an iPhone for most of its brains. The radio has a touch screen that interfaces to the apps on the phone. The problem is that the stock radio has a circuit to take the variable voltage for dimming the instrument panel lights, converting it to a PWM signal that controls the brightness of OTHER vacu-flourescent displays on the dashboard. Fortunately, those displays are at max brightness without the PWM signal, but they can be a bit bright at night.

So the board will measure the voltage on the dim circuit and convert it to a PWM signal to control the displays. Some people have left the stock radio connected in the trunk (boot?) of the car just to get this dimming signal. Some people have used a 555 circuit to accomplish the same thing. Sadly, few deals of exactly what's needed are available.

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 3 months ago #13137

• lespic
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 35
Sorry Jon, I viewed and went to investigate what was available this side of the pond ... not a lot, I have a nice Olimex board and i was going to post a picture, it has smt and leds and switches but its a shield for UNO not quite the same,in the past I found the Microchip bare 44 pin development boards useful (I had a package 1 populated 2 bare) I guess PDIP will eventually fade away so my breadboarding and stripboard prototypes will get difficult, perhaps the BB manufacturers could add some smt pads / perhaps a plug-in smt slot system would be good. The Elecrow TQFP64 footprint IC DIP breakout above would be a problem pushed directly in to the usual BB layout ?, but would suit the Tri-pad board I use.

But they want $13 shipping would have to pay tax here, so just ordered above from Paris France
4 for £13 ..
Attachments:

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 3 months ago #13138

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
The boards with a square arrangement and dual-row headers are definitely not breadboard friendly. I guess it's not really practical to make a board in a DIP arrangement for packages with large numbers of pins. I wouldn't want to build a much of a circuit with an 80 pin package on a bread board anyway! My breadboarded circuits aren't pretty.

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 5 years 11 months ago #13435

FULL DISCLOSURE--I work for Schmartboard. Schmartboard is unique. We make it easy to hand solder SMT parts with a patented technology.
http://www.schmartboard.com

Here for example is a .4mm pitch, 88 lead QFN board:
http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=schmartland_samples

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 5 years 11 months ago #13439

• be80be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 90
Those look great I wish I would of seen them back when i was playing with the pic32.
Thanks for posting the sample link.

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 5 years 3 months ago #14044

• davesaudio
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 3
Just having a quick scan thru-
Didn't notice mention of the whole line of "surfboards"available at Digikey and others? A search on surfboards pops them up.
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds