Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 5 months ago #16473

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352

SMT Prototype Board Compendium

Read full article...

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 5 months ago #13109

• Jon Chandler

I can't believe over 200 people have read this article and there hasn't been a single comment.

I know there are other sources with interesting prototyping boards - I just haven't found them yet. But since no one can even spend a minute commenting, I can find better things to do than taking more of my time to post them here. Perhaps nobody does any experimenting/prototyping on their own?

I apologize for making this rant, but Digital-DIY is a place for sharing ideas and information as well as asking questions and sharing cool projects. A few comments and some participation will make for an interesting site.

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 5 months ago #13112

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 62
Take a chill pill, man.

It's easter. People are on holiday. How many of those 200 reads are by other than search engines and people buzzing past that found it in search results?

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 5 months ago #13120

• RangerBob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 48
Sorry Jon,

Easter man. Four precious days off from work, internet and worries!

I was up to my eyeballs at home converting my precious "study" (I.E. Place to hide from the kids and fiddle about with my pet projects) into a playroom for the kids.

Good list though. A system I have used before that should go on the list are Schmartboards. They have a wide range of available options, even offering BGA prototyping!

I must admit I fall into the camp now that if I need to prototype a SMT design I tend to knock a quick design out in eagle and send it off to Seeed on their $10 fusion service. Very little of what I do needs to be done *quickly*.

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 5 months ago #13121

• Jon Chandler
I must admit I fall into the camp now that if I need to prototype a SMT design I tend to knock a quick design out in eagle and send it off to Seeed on their $10 fusion service. Very little of what I do needs to be done *quickly*.

Thanks for the feedback and input. Enjoy the new study!

You do make an excellent point about Seeed, iTead, and recent newcomers Elecrow and ELEC Freaks. The downside as you say is the shipping time unless you're willing to pay for expedited shipping (which still makes their prices incredible!).

The two new guys offer the same deals at the same prices as iTead and Seeed with the only change being that soldermask colors are free. I don't know if these companies are in any way related but their prices are virtually identical, the board sizes offered are the same and the ordering software is almost identical.

I have a board on the way from Elecrow so I'll be able to compare the quality of boards. I wanted to try a colored board, but red seems kind of overdone, blue screams Arduino, yellow sounded like an interesting choice but my partner hates the color, leaving white or black as the options. I decided to try black, which is only offered at Elecrow, so they were my choice

Re: SMT Protoboard Compendium - An Ongoing Project 6 years 5 months ago #13122

• RangerBob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 48
Black boards look great, but I find any type of rework very difficult as you can't easily see where the traces run!

Will look into those two new ones, although I'm happy with Seeed Fusion. Any feedback you have on them gratefully received!

My study is now bright pink and blue and filled with toys (not my toys, anyway)!
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds