Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Solar Array Progress - An Update

Re: Solar Array Progress - An Update 7 years 7 months ago #16010

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Irradiance Meter, I showed a picture of my friend Orris's solar panel set up for evaluation.  I recently had a chance to visit and see the progress on this project.  It's most impressive!  Orris has been busy.  Although not a exactly a microcontroller project, I think you'll enjoy seeing what a DIY-er can do on a large scale.

The array consists of 24 panels of 4' x 4' with a potential output of about 4 kW.  The array features vertical tracking and will eventually include reflectors to direct more sunlight on to the panels.  The panels are shown nearly fully elevated for the winter sun in the Seattle area (47° N latitude).

Read full article...

Re: Solar Array Progress - An Update 7 years 7 months ago #9754

• Jon Chandler
By the way, the sheep don't seem to mind sharing their pasture with the solar array. In the summer, they may appreciate the shade.

Attachments:

Re: Solar Array Progress - An Update 6 years 9 months ago #12357

• Jon Chandler
The solar array is nearing completion. It's been a long project for Orris, but the results look great!

This picture shows the complete array with the aluminum reflectors in place. They don't look shiny here as they are coated with frost for the first time this season.

Positioning of the array, which moves continuously throughout the day to achieve maximum insolation to the PV panels, is controlled by an Arduino and gear motors and a rack & pinion system. A GPS module provides date and time for use in the angle calculations.

The reflectors substantially improve the output of each PV panel without the expense of additional panels. A more detailed article with be forthcoming, including a discussion on the efficiency of the reflector system.
Attachments:

Re: Solar Array Progress - An Update 6 years 9 months ago #12362

Orris has been hard at it alright! I'm certainly looking forward to hear more about these latest updates, cheers for keeping us in the loop Jon.
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds