Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Linear Technology "Any Temperature Sensor In, Bench Top Accuracy Out" Chip

Linear Technology "Any Temperature Sensor In, Bench Top Accuracy Out" Chip 4 years 7 months ago #17041

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
The LTC2983 is an amazing "Any temperature sensor in, bench top accuracy out" chip. Any type of thermocouple, RTD, thermistor or even diode can be used as the sensor, with an amazing accuracy of better than 0.1°C. All this doesn't come cheap however – the price is a jaw-dropping $28 for one of these chips! But if you need this much accuracy, the price may be worth it.

The interesting thing I found looking through the technical information is that they have an Arduino-compatible demo board and code available. Wow. This could make trying out a chip quick and easy! I don't know if Arduino-compatible demo boards are a new thing, or if I'd just missed a new trend.

From Linear's Website:

LTC2983 - Multi-Sensor High Accuracy Digital Temperature Measurement System

Features

Directly Digitize RTDs, Thermocouples, Thermistors, and Diodes
Single 2.85V to 5.25V Supply
Results Reported in °C or °F
20 Flexible Inputs Allow Interchanging Sensors
Automatic Thermocouple Cold Junction Compensation
Built-In Standard and User-Programmable Coefficients for Thermocouples, RTDs and Thermistors
Configurable 2-, 3-, or 4-Wire RTD Configurations
Measures Negative Thermocouple Voltages
Automatic Burn Out, Short-Circuit and Fault Detection
Buffered Inputs Allow External Protection
Simultaneous 50Hz/60Hz Rejection
Includes 10ppm/°C (max) Reference (I-Grade)

Typical Application

Description

The LTC®2983 measures a wide variety of temperature sensors and digitally outputs the result, in °C or °F, with 0.1°C accuracy and 0.001°C resolution. The LTC2983 can measure the temperature of virtually all standard (type B, E, J, K, N, S, R, T) or custom thermocouples, automatically compensate for cold junction temperatures and linearize the results. The device can also measure temperature with standard 2-, 3-, or 4-wire RTDs, thermistors, and diodes. It has 20 reconfigurable analog inputs enabling many sensor connections and configuration options. The LTC2983 includes excitation current sources and fault detection circuitry appropriate for each type of temperature sensor.

The LTC2983 allows direct interfacing to ground referenced sensors without the need for level shifters, negative supply voltages, or external amplifiers. All signals are buffered and simultaneously digitized with three high accuracy, 24-bit ΔΣ ADC's, driven by an internal 10ppm/°C (maximum) reference.

Applications

Direct Thermocouple Measurements
Direct RTD Measurements
Direct Thermistor Measurements
Custom Sensor Applications
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Graham Mitchell, lespic
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds