Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: SPCI, Linux, Home LAN, and the Rigol 1054Z

SPCI, Linux, Home LAN, and the Rigol 1054Z 3 weeks 4 days ago #17914

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
Greets all!

Just a real quick post about a little side project I will be working on. This is all software and no hardware so I posted in here. Too bad there is no Linux category to post in yet, but if there was, that is where this would go.

I discovered a real easy way to get screen images from my Rigol 1054Z scope, but I also discovered how to control and get measurements from every feature of this scope, from the linux command line!! I can also get and set what I want using NETCAT from my linux home server through Putty on my main Windows 10 rig. I used this for testing of course. The idea is to develop a simple program that will handle the SPCI commands and parameters, and the returned data if needed.

This is a fantastic project that utilizes a sweet feature of the Rigol that I never knew existed!!

Why does this matter to me? Well, it is awesome that I can write a script or configure an interface to trigger my scope and take specific measurements based on something specific I am doing with an embedded system. This opens up the feedback gathered from specific testing without having to fiddle with the scope's controls.

I realize this post is pretty vague and mostly "idea", but I will post some more with specifics as I work through this project. I only have a few minutes but wanted to lay the post groundwork while the thought is in my head.

More when I do it. :)

SPCI, Linux, Home LAN, and the Rigol 1054Z 3 weeks 3 days ago #17916

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 331
Very cool. Remote monitoring opens up a lot of possibilities.

SPCI, Linux, Home LAN, and the Rigol 1054Z 2 weeks 1 hour ago #17920

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
I cannot decide what to write the app in. Or what language to write it with. I am leaning towards a web based app. That way, it can be served up from my Debian Linux home server and no GUI or specific platform is needed. But then the language choices are pretty vast. JS using jQuery/Ajax and PHP? Perl? Python? Or even C# using ASP?

I might use this as my first Perl or Python but I can crank it out with JS... etc. etc. I already have extensive frameworks with that flavor. Just wanted to sprinkle some nuts on it. Or is it Java Beans? lol
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds