Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Commandments for Using PICs

Re: Commandments for Using PICs 6 years 1 week ago #13545

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
I sent them an email suggesting this one and the vacuum pickup tool....a little shameless self-promotion

We've had some other articles from Digital-DIY posted there too, not just stuff I've posted. And recently, being mentioned on H-A-D hasn't crashed the server. Good job Graham!

Re: Commandments for Using PICs 6 years 1 week ago #13546

• lespic
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 35
Re MCLR I have used diode in the past, but now i use a vdd < 10k | 100R >Vpp this combination works fine. I also usually include a LED driven from a port output to ground, that can be flashed as the program starts up, indicating the chip has power and the program is running.

Re: Commandments for Using PICs 6 years 6 days ago #13547

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
I think using a crystal is not necesary unless you need great acuracy (USB, for example). For many aplications the built in oscilator is good enough, uses less real state on the board, and frees two pins. And the configuration isn't more conplex.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Re: Commandments for Using PICs 6 years 6 days ago #13548

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
It shouldn't be that difficult to use an internal oscillator, but it's always proven to be a place where people have problems.

Also, in Swordfish Basic, if the internal oscillator setup isn't placed in a module, the FIRST module, it can take many minutes to execute code in all of the modules at the default oscillator speed before the code setting the internal oscillator is run.

The recommendations are based on areas where I've seen people get hung up and represent the best ways to avoid problems that can be hard to track down.

Re: Commandments for Using PICs 6 years 6 days ago #13549

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Well, since I program in C, for me always have been the same, using a cristal or the internal oscilator. Just an include with all the configuration bits.

Also, the cristal is another point of failure if not properly placed.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Re: Commandments for Using PICs 6 years 6 days ago #13550

• bitfogav
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 53
With ref to Swordfish and internal OSC I think Jon was referring to this - Int OSC with Swordfish
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds