Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Creating Stylish Custom Enclosures With Elecrow Hexalithus Blocks*

Creating Stylish Custom Enclosures With Elecrow Hexalithus Blocks* 1 month 1 day ago #18140

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352

photo - teaserWhen you've designed a great new gadget, you may want to put it into an enclosure so it can easily be used and to protect it.  There are many options to accomplish this, ranging from Altoid tins to commercial enclosures to custom designed and built enclosures.  Let's briefly look at some options.

A quick Google search shows hundreds of projects built into Altoid tins.  This can work well for small projects and people have accomplished some amazing feats cramming a lot of stuff into a small package.  But sometimes you want something more professional looking.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Creating Stylish Custom Enclosures With Elecrow Hexalithus Blocks* 1 month 1 day ago #18141

• Jon Chandler
One point I didn't discuss in the article was the panel stops I mounted instead the top and bottom pieces just behind the front panel. These prevent flexing of the front panel when the buttons are pressed.

Creating Stylish Custom Enclosures With Elecrow Hexalithus Blocks* 1 month 22 hours ago #18142

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
OMG Fantastic offering Jon! And thank you for sharing the discovery!!! Certainly an upgrade from my spent Old Spice deodorant containers!!

SO NICE to see you doing these again!! Sometime, I will have to ask you to help me do my articles. I have so so many to do!!

Creating Stylish Custom Enclosures With Elecrow Hexalithus Blocks* 1 month 18 hours ago #18145

• Jon Chandler
The example pictures they show with these blocks are horrible. Crude square boxes that don't show the potential at all. I was in a panic when I found that Elecrow had discontinued them. I have to give them credit - they located the alternative blocks on Ali Express for me.

I did design an alternative based on an internal "tabs and slots" frame, but it requires 3x the number of pieces to be cut.

I did this article a little differently from my usual approach. Because this article is so dependent on the pictures, I started there, getting most of the pictures together as the first step. I sized all the images to a maximum dimension of 800 pixels and saved them as jpegs.

Then I typed the text in a text editor (Notepad++, highly recommended), including all the links, Word is not the best tool for this, as it can (and does) put in non-visible formatting characters that screw up the editor here. Then it was a pretty smooth creating the article in the editor with everything mostly ready to go.
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds