Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: A Happy Coincidence - Enclosure

A Happy Coincidence - Enclosure 3 weeks 2 days ago #18059

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 350
While wandering around Walmart, I saw a travel soap box, to hold a bar of soap. It was pretty study, the lid positively latches shut, and it was a buck. It also looked like a nice size to house a circuit board.

I started thinking it might be nice to make a custom TAP-28 version to fit. The existing design actually looked almost the right size.

It's my lucky day. If I had designed the board to fit, it couldn't have been better!

The polyethylene or maybe polypropylene box is easy to drill and cut, so it would be easy to drill a mounting hole in each corner. Right angle switches and LEDs can be used with the board, so they could project out the end of the box if desired.

Especially with no Radio Shack down the street anymore, an readily available enclosure is a great find.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Jon Chandler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

A Happy Coincidence - Enclosure 3 weeks 11 hours ago #18061

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Brilliant! I love it when this happens! Usually what I find is just a hair too small, too big, has compartments. My victory is still the Old Spice deodorant/antiperspirant containers. I can fit all my stuff in there and it is just translucent enough to illuminate showing status from a WS2812B led inside. I think I got the idea from you Jon, so it is not 100% original, but the best discovery for device cases I have found, to date. It has me looking at all our frequented products to see if their expended packaging is suitable for a home device improvement. Without being too gaudy that is. :)

A Happy Coincidence - Enclosure 3 weeks 8 hours ago #18062

• Jon Chandler
Maybe gaudy is good ;)

A Happy Coincidence - Enclosure 3 weeks 8 hours ago #18063

• Jon Chandler
Maybe gaudy is good ;)
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds