Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Samsung TV's and Bad Caps from the early 2000's

Samsung TV's and Bad Caps from the early 2000's 2 weeks 3 days ago #17941

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
As always Jon, you are so right! I bought a syringe of flux paste from Amazon that had good reviews, and yeah the solder flowed great! BUT, as you said, there was this sticky residue on the board and I don't like it. How can I clean it off. isopropyl alcohol?

Samsung TV's and Bad Caps from the early 2000's 2 weeks 1 day ago #17943

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 333
I use alcohol. Some people say a mixture of alcohol and Windex works well.

Samsung TV's and Bad Caps from the early 2000's 1 week 1 day ago #17944

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
OK, I replaced all the caps in that section of the power supply board and it powered back on, but I still have the issues with the screen. Unfortunately, the bonds to the LCD panel are not repairable conventionally. So I had to go unconventional.

The problem seems to come and go with heat. Therefor, I believe that it is movement of the bonds that is causing the problem. There are 16 boards that bond with the LCD panel at the top of the TV and pressure on these boards appears to fix the floating issue. I searched about that and sure enough, a guy posted a fix that seemed to work for him. By cutting 16 pieces of pipe insulating foam at 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" and using double adhesive tape to affix those pieces to the boards, I can use pressure through the foam from the front bezel to keep the boards more firmly in place. It has helped many, so it is worth a shot. I will document here how that turns out.

Wish me luck, performing surgery again on our Samsung ln46a650a1fxza TV. A big super huge thank you to Samsung for not only having counterfeit capacitors that pop, but also cutting enough corners to make our extremely expensive TV (when new) short lived to just beyond warranty.

Note to self: No more Samsung devices for MY family, to add to GE appliances also.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds