Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Display Bezel Idea

Display Bezel Idea 2 weeks 2 days ago #17919

  • hop
  • hop's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 364
  • Thanks received: 45
My that is pretty! I love how you can create what you need on a board. I still have not crossed over to that world yet. I really need to.

EDIT: Forgive my ignorance Jon, you lost me with rotating the 2nd digit to use it as a colon. I get why they have to be individually addressed to achieve that, but I might better understand what you are doing if I saw a rendered, drawing even, simple image of the expected output.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by hop.

Display Bezel Idea 1 week 3 days ago #17922

  • Jon Chandler
  • Jon Chandler's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 313
  • Thanks received: 331
Here's a picture showing the rotated middle digit. Instead of all 3 decimal points being on the bottom, there is a "good enough" colon between the first and second digits.




My boards arrived this morning. Here is one inserted into the housing.


Display Bezel Idea 1 week 2 days ago #17923

  • hop
  • hop's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 364
  • Thanks received: 45
Very nice! I get it now thank you. Two bad they do not make a digit with decimal places on the top and bottom. But then that would be 9 segments, not 8. You would have to go alpha-numeric.

Just curious, why didn't you go alpha-numeric? Maxim makes great controllers for that too.

EDIT: Nevermind. Even with alphanumeric digits you can't make a colon. You would have to use dot matrix, 7x5 probably. 17 or 18 segments versus 35.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by hop.

Display Bezel Idea 1 week 2 days ago #17924

  • Jon Chandler
  • Jon Chandler's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 313
  • Thanks received: 331
I soldered one of the displays together and it works.

This picture shows the back of the display. I forgot to order 2mm headers, so I soldered in a 6 pin pigtail.



Notice the position of the cable/connector. It's squeezed right against the side of the housing. This is where I made a small mistake. To ensure the header would fit, I shifted everything over slightly - 0.5mm or 1mm.

Notice the top rightmost segment - it's just under the edge of the bezel! My slight shift to provide room for the connector clipped the edge of this segment. Other digits in the same package might be a touch smaller and this wouldn't be an issue at all.



The display is entirely usable despite this small error, and it looks sharp.




I don't know if I'll use these displays for the next batch of timers, but it's an attractive option. With the acrylic panels, I laser-cut a rounded rectangle for each display and put a piece of 3M Vikuti Light Control film behind the panel to act as a filter. This film is polycarbonate and roughly 1/16 inch thick. I cut it to size on a paper cutter, peel off the protective film from both sides and adhere it to the panel with double-backed tape, all while ensuring I don't get any finger prints on the film. It's a rather tedious, time-consuming process done as part of the final assembly. A stack of pre-built modules would make the job easier.


  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds