Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Display Bezel Idea

Display Bezel Idea 3 months 2 weeks ago #17919

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
My that is pretty! I love how you can create what you need on a board. I still have not crossed over to that world yet. I really need to.

EDIT: Forgive my ignorance Jon, you lost me with rotating the 2nd digit to use it as a colon. I get why they have to be individually addressed to achieve that, but I might better understand what you are doing if I saw a rendered, drawing even, simple image of the expected output.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by hop.

Display Bezel Idea 3 months 1 week ago #17922

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 333
Here's a picture showing the rotated middle digit. Instead of all 3 decimal points being on the bottom, there is a "good enough" colon between the first and second digits.

My boards arrived this morning. Here is one inserted into the housing.

Display Bezel Idea 3 months 1 week ago #17923

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
Very nice! I get it now thank you. Two bad they do not make a digit with decimal places on the top and bottom. But then that would be 9 segments, not 8. You would have to go alpha-numeric.

Just curious, why didn't you go alpha-numeric? Maxim makes great controllers for that too.

EDIT: Nevermind. Even with alphanumeric digits you can't make a colon. You would have to use dot matrix, 7x5 probably. 17 or 18 segments versus 35.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by hop.

Display Bezel Idea 3 months 1 week ago #17924

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 333
I soldered one of the displays together and it works.

This picture shows the back of the display. I forgot to order 2mm headers, so I soldered in a 6 pin pigtail.

Notice the position of the cable/connector. It's squeezed right against the side of the housing. This is where I made a small mistake. To ensure the header would fit, I shifted everything over slightly - 0.5mm or 1mm.

Notice the top rightmost segment - it's just under the edge of the bezel! My slight shift to provide room for the connector clipped the edge of this segment. Other digits in the same package might be a touch smaller and this wouldn't be an issue at all.

The display is entirely usable despite this small error, and it looks sharp.

I don't know if I'll use these displays for the next batch of timers, but it's an attractive option. With the acrylic panels, I laser-cut a rounded rectangle for each display and put a piece of 3M Vikuti Light Control film behind the panel to act as a filter. This film is polycarbonate and roughly 1/16 inch thick. I cut it to size on a paper cutter, peel off the protective film from both sides and adhere it to the panel with double-backed tape, all while ensuring I don't get any finger prints on the film. It's a rather tedious, time-consuming process done as part of the final assembly. A stack of pre-built modules would make the job easier.

Display Bezel Idea 2 months 2 days ago #17945

• MMcLaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 30
Hi Jon.

I bought a couple of those volt meters and I think it's amazing that three 0.56" displays just barely fit. Anyway, I just ran across these three digit 0.39" displays on AliExpress that I think may be a better fit.

Cheerful regards, Mike
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by MMcLaren.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds