Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Building Tools to Aid Development

Building Tools to Aid Development 2 years 8 months ago #17871

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352

switch box 6 300pxFor development and testing of the fault monitor I'm working on, I need to simulate 8 0v/5v signals.  I used the PICkit 2 logic tool for some simple testing and I could have used jumpers to kludge something together but there will be a lot of testing as I get all the features together, so something a little more user friendly and robust was in order.  One way I could have done this was to use a 8 bit DIP switch, but fiddling around with the tiny levers is kind of a pain in the butt.

I decided the best solution was to build a switchbox with toggle switches that can quickly be set to desired patterns.  I had a handful of mini toggle switches purchased long ago on ebay that are of a quality such that I don't want to use them anyplace where I'm depending on the switch to work, so that was a starting point. My data lines are pulled high by 10k resistors, so I could just use a SPST toggle switch to short each data line to ground.  Nothing too complex to hand wire.

Close at hand was an enclosure I had ordered from iTead for $5.  This stylish box was overkill for this project but it worked well.  I have some measurements for a circuit board which I'll include at the end of the article.

Read more...
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds