Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Brilliant Idea from Hack-A-Hack

Brilliant Idea from Hack-A-Hack 2 years 10 months ago #17839

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
From Hack-a-day comes this idea to use an ESP8266 wifi microcontroller module and an IR LED to add web control a non-smart TV. That's an interesting idea but certainly not brilliant.

The brilliant idea is using the USB jack found on the back of most flat panel TVs to power the board. If you use a NodeMCU module, it's designed to be powered from a USB jack already - just plug it in!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Brilliant Idea from Hack-A-Hack 2 years 10 months ago #17840

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
This is what I get for never taking the time to post anything on hack-a-day or hack-a-hack. I have been doing this for a long time already. Except I have been using a RPi connected to the USB jack for power, and then the HDMI to give our "dumb" tv "SMART" tv ability. And with HDMI-CEC, I can control the whole thing with the TV's remote. With NFS on my home linux MEDIA server (I have 3 home servers now), we can watch our content on any TV with an HDMI port.

I would imagine that with a ESP8266, you could do wonderful things, but the RPi quad core version 3, you get quad cores at a GHz or faster, dedicated HDMI supported through hardware, and all for about $35. It's a bit bigger than a ChromeCast or a Firestick, but you get added I/O and other connectivity. And I love being able to run linux on the device and shell into it to get database data from web scraping as a result from the content we have via cron jobs. With mysql porting, I was able to design my own web interface search engine to narrow in on content choices.

Pretty cool stuff!
Ubiquitous smartphones and established protocols to communicate with other devices on the network — absolutely. It’s an incredible time to be a hacker.

Oh so true!! :D
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by hop. Reason: added content

Brilliant Idea from Hack-A-Hack 2 years 10 months ago #17841

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Very cool Gary. I'm falling behind in all the wifi stuff!

Brilliant Idea from Hack-A-Hack 2 years 9 months ago #17842

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Understandable considering all the other cool stuff you do, not to mention the incredible articles you write. The nice thing we enjoy today is so many choices of what to dive into with the technology genre. One of the reasons I really do not "GAME" anymore.
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds