Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Using OpenBeam Extrusion to Create a Custom Enclosure

Using OpenBeam Extrusion to Create a Custom Enclosure 1 year 3 months ago #17826

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 340

OpenBeam profile -300The FAA recently asked me to come up with a solution for mounting one of my Wake Turbulence Timers at a location with a metal console panel; they didn't want to cut a hole through the panel but preferred a surface-mount solution instead.  One hard requirement was that it use a standard timer with no modifications in case the timer had to be replaced at some time in the future.

T-Slots and Tabs

I have used t-slots in laser-cut acrylic before to make a stand-alone enclosure for use in a training center but I'm not sure that approach will stand up to day-to-day use and abuse past the point where I no longer care.  The technique is handy for some applications but perhaps not a heavy-duty industrial application.

Apparently I haven't posted about the t-slot method here before, so I'll touch on it lightly.  In a t-slot joint, one panel has tabs that fit into slots on the mating panel, and a t-slot that's (typically) sized to fit a 3mm nut across the flats.  A screw goes through the mating panel into the nut and is tightened to hold the joint secure.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Using OpenBeam Extrusion to Create a Custom Enclosure 1 year 3 months ago #17827

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
Outstanding! I absolutely love your articles Jon! Nice work and the finished enclosure is amazing! Not only that, I put this whole article in my OneNote because you touched on something I want to learn a LOT more about! Simple machining using aluminum.
Thank you Jon for another amazing contribution and the time it took to create it! Digital DIY and myself and its other members are lucky to have you here!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Chandler

Using OpenBeam Extrusion to Create a Custom Enclosure 1 year 3 months ago #17828

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
I am blown away by this article Jon, and thank you for writing it! I have a 1000 uses in mind for aluminum parts and extrusions, and it is articles like this that make the impossible - possible. THANK YOU SIR! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Chandler

Using OpenBeam Extrusion to Create a Custom Enclosure 1 year 3 months ago #17829

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 340
Thanks for the kind words Gary.

Doing stuff like this is fun...at least when things work as planned!

This certainly wasn't the simplest way to accomplish the task or even cheapest, but for a one-off solution that doesn't look like a hack job, it worked out nicely.
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds