Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Web Interfaces for, well, EVERYTHING!

Web Interfaces for, well, EVERYTHING! 2 years 10 months ago #17853

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
HI EVERYBODY!

Sorry for the long hiatus! Man the holidays sure make the time fly by, and I had not the time to post progress.

Back at it though, and a lot to write about!! I had created new code, and new ideas, and moth-balled some old code. I created database node objects with functions for updating controls, populating combo boxes, writing changes to the database, and they work so well!!

In the middle of all of this, I needed to be able to work on this project remotely so I took a little side road and honed my virtual machine skills. This was not an easy task at all!! I had all sorts of networking issues. All of that is solved now and I am pleased to say that I have a fully functional mirror of my home linux server running on my laptop in a virtual machine. It is available to any device on my LAN with all its subnets. Updating it's MYSQL database and it's files are automated through a cron job running on both servers so it is always fresh and ready for me to code on the road. This is big because I will be away from home for two weeks and put up in a hotel as I work at my real job setting up DSD operations at new retail locations for my company. I will set up a small network in my hotel suite and work on it in my down time. I hope to document most if not all of this project's features and details during this time. I'm excited!!!

Anyway, the database nodes are awesome and I can code them individually however I want. They can contain a full table, or handle paging of data for large data sets. Obviously, it is a balance of available client memory usage and read/writes to the server's database that needs to be taken into account. As the system grows, I will be tweaking this through configurations supplied from the JSON configuration files that will ultimately be supplied by the database.

So although I stated that I was flirting with statically coding my web apps to suit my needs at this point, light bulbs of ideas exploded over my head in the process and I am back to coding for a dynamically configured frame work.

More as I code it.

OH! And CONGRATS TO THE CUBS! FINALLY! What a game 7! WOW!

Web Interfaces for, well, EVERYTHING! 2 years 9 months ago #17867

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Project is not dead at all, I just got really busy. I became a travelling man and lived out of a hotel room while setting up DSD at new retail locations. I'm done with that now and back at it.
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds