Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy

Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy 1 year 11 months ago #17778

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 342

My FAA Wake Turbulence Timers have been installed at 10 test sites for a year.  The evaluations from the Air Traffic Controllers who have used them are favorable, but one requested feature was a volume control for the piezo beeper used to signal the end of the countdown period.  In some towers, the beeper was just the right volume, but in quiet towers, it was way too loud.  This didn't seem like a difficult problem to solve.

Floyd Bell Beeper - 300The beeper used was actually a magnetic beeper - it's an active beeper, requiring only the application of 5VDC to sound.  An active piezo beeper could just as easily be used, so I started with a search for controllable-volume piezo beepers.   There are indeed piezo beepers with a volume control - a mechanical shutter to control the size of opening of the sound exit.  Beepers of this type are huge and not suited to my application where the maximum beeper diameter is about 16mm.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy 1 year 11 months ago #17780

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
There is lots to read here and I sincerely thank you Jon for sharing this process with us! I will read the whole article on my next day off, on Friday. THANKS AGAIN!

Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy 1 year 11 months ago #17782

• Jon Chandler
It is a lot, I will admit. This "little" piece has been a challenge that's for sure. But the thing to note...I kept moving ahead, improving on what I had, not abandoning my plan at the first problem thst came along.

Fortunately, I've had the luxury of time on this part of the project while we're waiting for the gears of of a large organization to grind on the approval process.

Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy 1 year 11 months ago #17783

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Jon Chandler wrote:
It is a lot, I will admit. This "little" piece has been a challenge that's for sure. But the thing to note...I kept moving ahead, improving on what I had, not abandoning my plan at the first problem thst came along.

Fortunately, I've had the luxury of time on this part of the project while we're waiting for the gears of of a large organization to grind on the approval process.

The more detail the better. And arduous process it is I'm sure to get anything approved where safety is a concern. It has to be that way I suspect, and thankful for.

Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy 1 year 11 months ago #17784

• Jon Chandler
Not, actually it's just getting people off their backsides. There's little in the way of relevant technical evaluation - a whole bunch of people with little involvement in this area have to agree...and provide nothing in the way of justification if they don't.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Jon Chandler.

Piezo Beeper Volume Control - Sometimes Projects Aren't Easy 1 year 11 months ago #17785

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh wow, well said! And it's the same where I work. I suspect it is the same where EVERYBODY works. The guy in a cubicle with his feet on his little desk has to evaluate, and sign off on it. His main concern is what will come back and bite him in the back side. No relative knowledge of the idea at hand, or real experience in the field he administrates. Just numbers on a spread sheet and trends to bias his or her decisions. Welcome to the administered world of the millenial in charge. lol
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by hop. Reason: Typo
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds