Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide

Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide 3 years 4 months ago #17703

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
6mm and 12mm tactile switches are commonly used with microcontrollers along with some other common types. A bewildering variety of caps are available on eBay, but it can be confusing to determine what caps fit what switches. Two of my favorite caps fit 12mm switches and you've probably seen some pictures here. The first is a round cap with a lip - it's perfect for use with a 3mm panel. The lip keeps it captive behind the panel, and the top is just slightly proud of a 3mm panel. This arrangement gives the switch a high quality feel for in excess of the 50 cent cost. The other version I like is a square cap for 12mm switches, with a clear cover. These are great for labeling switches.

The attached PDF shows some common cap sizes and importantly, the dimensions of the switch plunger that they fit. These caps are available in different diameters and lengths - the key feature is the plunger size.

I hope this info may be useful. Please add pictures of caps you like in the comments and where to get them, along with information they may be useful for the attached chart.

Download Switch Cap Guide PDF

Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide 3 years 4 months ago #17704

• Jon Chandler
Here are some small scale views of the info in the PDF. The views in the PDF have much more resolution, so the details are clearer.

These first caps go on common 6mm x 6mm tactile switches; note the switch must have a square plunger for these to work.

These next two fit on slightly larger push button switches.

Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide 3 years 4 months ago #17705

• Jon Chandler
The next two fit on larger 12mm x 12mm switches. The first is a square button with a clear cap. This is nice for labeling switches. If you print on a transparency sheet, your text will show up over the button color.

I like these round caps for 12mm switches. The thickness between the rim and top of the button is just over 3mm, so they make a very clean arrangement mounted through a laser-cut panel. The added support provided by the panel makes a 50 cent switch and a 2 cent cap feel like a quality product.

Here are the dimensions of a 12mm x 12mm switch.

Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide 3 years 4 months ago #17706

• Jon Chandler
These caps and switches are cheap on eBay. This picture is a set of switches and caps for around $7.

Or you can go for the jumbo assortment of caps for about $5 and buy the switches separately. The caps are also available in single-color sets. I can not find these round caps with the lip from any US supplier.

Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide 3 years 4 months ago #17707

• Jon Chandler
These 7mm x 7mm switches use the A4 caps. This size of switch is available as momentary contact or latching (push on / push off).

Switch Cap Sizes - A Helpful Guide 3 years 4 months ago #17708

• Jon Chandler
Here's an example of the round captive switch caps. The panel is a 3mm Rowmark material with the color layer on the back. Laser-etching the back of the material leaves a somewhat clear area (not clear enough to read a 7-segment display) for indicators. The buttons are just proud of the surface, providing a nice feel.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds