Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing

Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing 3 years 7 months ago #17586

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hi Guys!

I am almost done with my candle light fixture controller and it has been a learning experience. I am using a universal PCB proto-board (7cm x 4cm) and the power supply section is not too pretty, but I learned that 1/8 watt resistor leads work well for bridging the holes, and the rest looks a lot better. No shorts, everything is working great thus far. My Hakko fx888 solder station is really making it easy.

My question is what works well for bridging connections between the holes, and creating routes and buses? I really did not want to get into wire wrapping. Using the resistor clipped leads is working well but it is slow work. I learned to bend the ends of lengths to keep the wire in place for soldering. A bonus I discovered is the wire across the holes helps to keep components in place for soldering. Is there such a product that allows me to draw material on and across the holes?

If not, in the future, I need to get wire that is the same gauge as the 1/8 watt resistors and just use those cut lengths to create buses and routes.

Pictures coming tomorrow. I want to finish this messy prototype tonight. I will of course create a board to be made for this design since it is universal to all my projects. I tried that two days ago and ran into all sorts of hurdles though. Could not find the components I was using in the software, and have a lot to learn about spacing, etc.

I'll stumble through it though. If I can run off a dozen or more boards with this basic template, I can use them all over my house. Pretty cool stuff!!! The board supports 3 voltages from a 12vdc adapter. 12vdc, 5vdc, and 3.3vdc. A pro-mini (atmega 328p 5v), ESP8266 ESP-01 wireless, a light and temp sensor, 2 PWM transistor supported 12vdc channels, a passive infrared sensor, and GPIO connector. Everything a growing boy needs. :)
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by hop. Reason: Typos

Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing 3 years 7 months ago #17587

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
For perfboard, I usually use leftovers of cat5 cable.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing 3 years 7 months ago #17588

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Baldor wrote:
For perfboard, I usually use leftovers of cat5 cable.
Oh yeah! Great idea!!

Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing 3 years 6 months ago #17632

• W4GNS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 43
Hop, Have a look-see of how this dude does proto boards.
elm-chan.org/docs/wire/wiring_e.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing 3 years 6 months ago #17634

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
W4GNS wrote:
Hop, Have a look-see of how this dude does proto boards.
elm-chan.org/docs/wire/wiring_e.html

It looks like a lot of work but wow the possibilities! Looks clean too considering the complexity of his examples. Thank you sir!!

Prototyping - Universal PCB Boards and Route Tracing 3 years 6 months ago #17635

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Wow, that's an awesome hand-wired board. Definitely a talent I don't have!

I needed a programmer for some ESP8266 WiFi modules I got, so I soldered one together. It works...that's about all that can be said. This is about as complicated as I'd go hand wiring a board.

This perfboard has busses for power that can be shorted to a row of contacts with a solder bridge; it's suprisingly difficult to make a solder bridge when you want one.

My programmer works. My modules are being very resistant to progress. But that's a story for another time.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds