Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries

Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries 3 years 10 months ago #17493

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
Hey guys!
I impulsively bought 10 18650 6000mah lithium ion batteries on eBay and want to know what you guys do, or WOULD do, to charge them. I could buy a charger, and there are many out there, but I thought it would be fun and interesting to build a MCU supported intelligent charger. Maybe something with progress reporting via my network, and a display showing progress, etc. I can handle all that fluff myself, so long as I have a reading to use. I read that charging requires specific voltage and current or these turn into "incendiary bombs" which does not sound too good to experience.

Your thoughts and experiences? I'm anxious to see what you know about this. :)

What I bought was...

Attachment lithiumionAAbattery6000mah.jpg not found

10PCS Deep Blue 18650 Rechargeable Battery 6000mah 3.7v Li-ion Battery
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by hop. Reason: Clarification - Not AA but 18650

Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries 3 years 10 months ago #17494

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Take a look at this
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries 3 years 10 months ago #17495

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
I haven't done anything with charging Lithium-Ion batteries; the best advice I have is be careful!

Some of these batteries have internal safely devices to limit current, shut down on low voltage and so on. Many things can turn these batteries into a bomb so the internal safety device is recommended. Too high of voltage, too low of voltage or over temperature can cook them off.

The best advice I've seen if experimenting with batteries without the internal limiter: do it outside where there's nothing to burn. Have a small fireproof safe at the ready, and it the batteries start to go, dump them in the safe, lock the door and run!

It could be interesting :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries 3 years 10 months ago #17500

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Jon Chandler wrote:
I haven't done anything with charging Lithium-Ion batteries; the best advice I have is <strong>be careful!</strong>

Some of these batteries have internal safely devices to limit current, shut down on low voltage and so on. Many things can turn these batteries into a bomb so the internal safety device is recommended. Too high of voltage, too low of voltage or over temperature can cook them off.

The best advice I've seen if experimenting with batteries without the internal limiter: do it outside where there's nothing to burn. Have a small fireproof safe at the ready, and it the batteries start to go, dump them in the safe, lock the door and run!

It could be interesting :)

GREAT! :ohmy: :woohoo:

Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries 3 years 10 months ago #17501

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
There are protection ICs, like this. I had seen similar circuits in various battery packs.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Building a Charger for 18650 6000mah Lithium Ion Batteries 3 years 10 months ago #17502

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Baldor wrote:
There are protection ICs, like this. I had seen similar circuits in various battery packs.
That's awesome Baldor thank you!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds