Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting Started in Analog Electronics

Getting Started in Analog Electronics 3 years 9 months ago #17391

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 46
You electrical engineers might laugh at this, I suspect you will not, but as most here know, I have been putting my golf ball back and forth and PASSED the hole on this subject for a long time.

I looked for something like this because as a kid, I had a bunch of paperback books by Forrest Mims on all kinds of circuits that interested me. They were available at Radio Shack back in the early 80's.

I don't know if this will prevent fires on my bench, but I am anxious to build and understand the circuits in this book, and plan to read it cover to cover.

Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest M. Mims III

Your thoughts?
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by hop. Reason: for clarity

Getting Started in Analog Electronics 3 years 9 months ago #17392

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
Seems interesting, and for that price I will certainly try it.

Then, for a better undertanding of the theory, you can suplement it with Practical electronics for inventors. I have it alwais at hand, and find it very usefull.

Then , when you have build some of the circuits in the first book is when it gets interesting. You will want to build something that isn't in the book, and you will have an idea of what you need to look for, a basic idea of how it works, use parts of several circuits you already know, and know what you need to modify of it.

When you deviate from the circuits in the book, you will eventualy see blue smoke. You can learn a lot trying to diagnose why your circuit dont works.

Try not to copy willi nilli what you find in internet, just to see that it works. Try to modify it to make exactly what you want, or make a little more research to find more apropiate aproaches, etc... And just play for the pleasure of playing.

Oh... But i'm not an electrical engineer... I'm a simple mold maker.
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Getting Started in Analog Electronics 3 years 9 months ago #17395

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Some great info may be found in National Semiconductor's old ap notes:

AN 31: Op Amp Circuit Collection

AN-20 An Applications Guide for Op Amps
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Getting Started in Analog Electronics 3 years 9 months ago #17396

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
I worked with op amps way back in 1981, the LM324 I believe, for conditioning a signal with a forward bias (just from memory) so it was suitable for the Reticon SAD1024 Bucket Brigade Device inputs. I used a 555 to clock the beast, and in 1983, a ICL8038 Waveform Generator device was added to modulate the 555 clock circuit to speed up and slow down via sine wave the analog data that was sampled and shifted through the device. The result was a home-made chorus effects circuit for my guitar. It worked really well but was noisy. I actually used the bread-boarded monster on stage locally during a few gigs we did. I blew up a few of the SAD1024's because static discharge was a real enemy to the device. I was young and stupid, but it was an awesome project I finished WITHOUT the help of the internet.

So if I can do that from scratch, I can do this. And over 30 years later, things have simplified somewhat, got smaller, and much much faster. DSP's, etc. I even used the LM324 (I believe) to phase shift an audio signal along with the ICL8038 to build myself a phaser/flanger effect. Boss floor pedals were so expensive back then. For that I had the IC Op-Amp Cookbook - Walter G Jung (1974) available. I remember losing my mind in a joyful moment when I realized I could phase shift the signal 180° for the "CLEAN" feed for the left channel, and then phase shift another signal 0 to 360° and offer that as the right channel, and enjoy it when I heard the simulated stereo effect passed through my head, back and forth, when the clean signal was behind then ahead of the modulated phase shift. It was beautiful!!!

Just had to include this. It was Forest M. Mimms and Walter G Jung publications on the LM324 and other op amps that made it possible. I still have those devices by the way. :O

A last note... People say, especially audiophiles, that the digital revolution has lost something with the warm and friendly analog audio signal of the 80's. Perhaps the digital revolution has helped me lose something of analog over the years. Can I get that back? I did some incredible things as a kid. I should have taken it somewhere.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by hop.

Getting Started in Analog Electronics 3 years 9 months ago #17397

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Baldor wrote:
Then, for a better undertanding of the theory, you can suplement it with Practical electronics for inventors. I have it alwais at hand, and find it very usefull.

Nailed it Baldor, thank you. It was actually recommended on the page where I bought the first book I mentioned.

Now I just need a scope, for starters. My wife tells me I am getting the Rigol for Christmas. WOOHOO!

Getting Started in Analog Electronics 3 years 9 months ago #17404

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
Baldor wrote:

I just got this book and man is it heavy! It is a lot bigger than I expected, and certainly bigger than the first book I mentioned from Forrest Mimms. Over 1000 pages! Although bigger is not necessarily better, just thumbing through this book has me excited beyond words!!! Look out people, no more fires on my bench it looks like! A nearby fire house might actually close down or just go to saving cats from trees!!! LMAO

I love the structure!! Formulas, circuits, illustrations, theory... this is really going to take me a long way!

Thanks again sir for the recommendation!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds