Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester

From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester 4 years 10 months ago #16889

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352

Michael Dunn -August 15, 2014

While this sub-$20 board may not gain pride of place in your T&M rack, it's a fine tool for hobbyist and pro alike, and demonstrates the power of clever design.

Recently, while thumbing through eBay, I stumbled upon what appeared to be a magical everything component tester, for under $20. Always hungry to try new gizmos, I couldn't resist its charms, and placed my order with this seller, located in Shenzhen, China (there are other sellers too).

I normally wouldn't risk even $20 on such a toyish object, but this one inspired some confidence. The voluminous screen shots and the good seller rating were cause for some hope. And (spoiler alert), I wasn't disappointed. This is a really nice little design.

Read more...

From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester 4 years 10 months ago #16890

• Jon Chandler
I have one of these units on the way. This unit has a graphic LCD instead of character – similar units are available from a number of eBay vendors. I chose this one because they have stock in the US and I'll receive it this week.

All of these seem to be based on the same design and code.

From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester 4 years 10 months ago #16891

• Jon Chandler
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Jon Chandler.

From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester 4 years 10 months ago #16892

• Baldor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thanks received: 91
This gizmo could be handy when I start rumaging thoroug mi fathers drawers of uncategorized components. :-)
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.

From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester 4 years 10 months ago #16894

• W4GNS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 43
O Boy! Yet another toy I just gots to have.

From EDN: Clever engineering creates rock-bottom component tester 4 years 10 months ago #16896

• Jon Chandler
Mine arrived today and I quickly put it to the test. I tried a bunch of transistors - all were correctly identified as PNP or NPN, the terminal arrangement identified and the gain displayed. In all cases the gains fell within the expected range and the terminal arrangement was correctly shown.

I next measured a few electrolytic caps...the capacitance was in the expected range and the ESR was shown.

An LED flashed a few times, and the forward voltage was shown.

The tester can accommodate 3 leads. Connection one of the AC leads and the two output leads of a bridge rectifier indicated two diodes in the same direction with a common connection, and the Vf for both. rotating the bridge to connect two AC terminals and one DC terminal indicated two diodes in series, connected anode to cathode.

A handy device that does what it claims, all with the push of a button. The version I bought shows the schematic symbol on the graphic LCD.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Jon Chandler.
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds