Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Faulhaber Motor ID help

Re: Faulhaber Motor ID help 4 weeks 1 day ago #17969

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
This is a very old thread but I resurrected it in order to share what I discovered.

A google search finally coughed up a site that gave a lot of info about a geared encoder-fitted motor much like my own Faulhabers. Also on the page was how you can test the motor with a multimeter to find out what pins on the connector go to what.

I have only 2 of the small servos, but 50 of the larger drive motors that appear to be just larger versions of the smaller motor. The encoders on the larger motors have more channels I expect though, since the ribbon cable has more conductors. Now that I know how to test the channels though, and that Faulhaber encoders appear to follow the same specs as far as supply voltage (5vdc), it should be easy to map out the pinouts of the connectors quite easily!
I'm hanging onto these and not selling. They are expensive! This has been a very good salvage operation for me!!

SITE: Robot Room - Faulhaber Gear Motor and Encoder

AFTER-THOUGHT: I am excited about controlling these to precision using an MCU. I know that MicroChip and many others make devices that use encoder output to control the motor. I might go that route, or just do it with a PIC18F4220 which seems overkill but sports I2C and SPI communications, so I will be able to send control parameters for positioning, speed, and direction. SOUNDS LIKE FUN! Also, these smaller version of my motors supposedly consume 15-20ma at 80 RPM (141 gear reduced) at 6vdc. A max of 10vdc.
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by hop. Reason: after thought

Re: Faulhaber Motor ID help 3 weeks 4 days ago #17970

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 338
Controlling things that move is always fun...and can be exciting!

One of my best-ever projects was a system,using a 300 baud modem to recprd "log book" information on one track of a 7 track magnetic tape recorder while the other 6 channels recorded machinery vibration data from shipboard machinery. A private competitor did this (sort of) using a $2000 encoder. I traded a box of 50 genic 5" floppies for an Atari avoustic modem because any funding for this project was coming out of my pocket.

The othee half of the system read the encoded information from the tape and cycled the recorder back and forth, controlling a spectrum analyzer to make vibration plots for each measurement point. Our data reduction time decresed from 3 manweeks to 16 hours!

The playback side was finished when I was at sea gathering data by my coworkers. I knew all the pieces woekwd, but I had never seen the entire system work. I put on the first reel of tape and watched in awe. The system rsn through the first recording, reading the encoded datz to the end of the track. The tape reversed. The analyzer started and cycled through the required analysis ranges and channels. After a couple passes, it moved to the next recording and repeatwd the process. What a rush! A mind-numbinv process was reduced to one I just had to causually monitor and change reels of tpe about everyv80 minutes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hop

Re: Faulhaber Motor ID help 3 weeks 3 days ago #17974

• hop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thanks received: 45
Wow that is really cool!!! Thanks for sharing that!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds