Re: Why I Pick PIC 6 years 4 months ago #16465

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 62

Re: Why I Pick PIC 6 years 4 months ago #13038

• W4GNS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 43
Thanks Matt, for the time consuming comparison. The Atmel fanboys claim the AVR is cheaper, which I could never understand.
For example a (8 bit)atMega1284P 40 pin PDIP is $8.14 at Mouser. Most, if not all PIC's are well under that cost. A quick look says most 40 pin PIC's are under $4.00 with a couple going as high as $6.00

Re: Why I Pick PIC 6 years 4 months ago #13041

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
For that price you can get the top of the range PIC32MX795F512L - there is no better pic.

True, it's a 100 pin TQFP, not 40 pin DIP, but that's the price you pay for such a high end microcontroller.

And yes, I know I'm preaching to the converted (or is that perverted?)

Re: Why I Pick PIC 6 years 4 months ago #13039

• lespic
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 35
Matt Your right, I started with an RCA1802 micro back in the 70's then moved on to Z80 also had a look at 8051,and others, but my hobby really took off with PIC's , prefer asm to code so MPLAB fits very well.
Les

Re: Why I Pick PIC 6 years 4 months ago #13040

• majenko
  • Fresh Boarder
Matt Your right, I started with an RCA1802 micro back in the 70's then moved on to Z80 also had a look at 8051,and others, but my hobby really took off with PIC's , prefer asm to code so MPLAB fits very well.
Les
Yay! A man after my own heart! Well, you can't have it, it's safely locked away in a bank vault in Switzerland.

I have a Z80 and an 8051 (actually an 80C320 - the same but faster) tucked away in one of my chip boxes. Been meaning to make my own computer out of the Z80 - something to run CP/M. Never got round to it though.

I prefer C myself - too lazy to use ASM. I know it, but I don't use it unless I have to. I have SDCC (Small Device C Compiler) for my "aged" work - supports Z80, 8051, etc.

Re: Why I Pick PIC 6 years 4 months ago #13042

• jmessina
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 189
A couple of comments...

- both devices are RISC-based and use a Harvard architechture (separate program and data memory). The instruction sets are fairly similar, not like a RISC vs CISC. Seems like a wash to me.

- While the PIC clock may be faster, in general, the AVR is four times as fast as a PIC. Many ATMega instructions execute in a single cycle, while the PIC requires four clocks. A 20MHz ATMega is ~20MIPS, a 20MHz PIC18 is ~5MIPS. Even bumping it up to 64MHz only gets you 16MIPS.

Some winning AVR features
- linear data memory (no bank select paging)
- more general purpose registers (not just WREG)
- individual interrupt vectors
- peripheral features tend to be better (MUCH better in most cases)

Personally, the problem with the Arduino isn't the AVR, it's the fact that it's an Arduino.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds