Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Sous Vide Board - Troubleshooting a New Board

Re: Sous Vide Board - Troubleshooting a New Board 7 years 1 month ago #16197

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352

Powering up my new sous vide controller board required to troubleshooting to find an easily fixed problem. Some indications were misunderstood, resulting in some confusion. I'm sharing this systematic troubleshooting process to help you analyze problems.

The Board Design

The board is based around a 28-pin 18F-series micro and a TI TMP513 chip configured to read a thermocouple. The board has a 16x1 connector for a HD77480 character LCD, two inputs for switches and an output to control an SSR (solid state relay). In keeping with the TAP-28 convention, there are 6 pin connectors for I2C (the TMP-513 uses the I2C interface) and UART communications. The board was designed with general applications in mind, so there are also locations for an I2C EEPROM, a Microchip RTC and a MCP-23017 port expander chip.

Because of the number of port pins needed, the LCD data lines share the ICSP clock and data lines.

Read full article...

Re: Sous Vide Board - Troubleshooting a New Board 7 years 1 month ago #11317

You got there, in the end

I've just checked the boards you threw my way - same problem with pin 5 on the LCD (easy fix anyhow). You've certainly saved me some debugging time - could have left it as a surprise heh.

I wouldn't mind giving the sous-vide technique a whirl After watching a couple of Master Chef episodes. Not sure what I'll make with the second board/enclosure yet. There's enough on there to do almost anything, it'll no doubt come in handy someday.

Re: Sous Vide Board - Troubleshooting a New Board 7 years 1 month ago #11320

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
You got there, in the end

I've just checked the boards you threw my way - same problem with pin 5 on the LCD (easy fix anyhow). You've certainly saved me some debugging time - could have left it as a surprise heh.

I wouldn't mind giving the sous-vide technique a whirl After watching a couple of Master Chef episodes. Not sure what I'll make with the second board/enclosure yet. There's enough on there to do almost anything, it'll no doubt come in handy someday.

Thirty boards all have the same problem... it's not an error in fabrication, I forgot to make the connection. I need to stop making last minute changes - this is when my errors always occur!

So why did I make 30 boards? We've got about 10 sous vide controllers promised to friends. And since the board seems generally useful, I bought three lots. At least it's an easy fix.

Sous vide is great technique. If you can find something like the turkey fryers we're using that have the heating element at the bottom (rather than a typical slow-cooker with the heating element around the sides of the vessel), no circulation pump is needed. Just be sure to understand the time/temperature charts to ensure food safety.

Re: Sous Vide Board - Troubleshooting a New Board 7 years 1 month ago #11321

• W4GNS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 43
So why did I make 30 boards?

Cuz' he is a generous soul.............
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds