Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Mini-Tip: Hot Air Gun

Re: Mini-Tip: Hot Air Gun 7 years 3 months ago #16137

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352

You may recall that my Hantek DS-3X55 signal generator met with disaster when I was testing out the Sony-Tek o'scope I got at Goodwill when I had a ground issue with my bench power supply.  I ended up shorting the power supply vis the USB ground connection which resulted in no output.

I found a picture of the Handtek internals on the EEV Blog.  The output of the microcontroller has an op-amp buffer chip.  Since everything worked but I had no output signal, my conclusion was that my power supply short had destroyed it.  The signal generator still responded to USB commands and the sync output operated normally which supported this conclusion.  The board is shown below.  A large microcontroller, a few support chips and a lot of empty space.

The output buffer is the SOIC-8 in the center - an LMH6702A, a low distortion opamp.

Read full article...

Re: Mini-Tip: Hot Air Gun 7 years 3 months ago #10899

• Jon Chandler
Looks like I need a few more cue-tips and alcohol around the triggering switch on the 'scope!

Re: Mini-Tip: Hot Air Gun 7 years 3 months ago #10906

Nice save Jon! I bet you were wrapped to fix it as quickly as you broke it. I'm curious - what was shipping for that IC worth in the states from Digikey?

I'm using an Atten 858D; it's low cost and available from plenty of Asian distributors on eBay. From what I could find online, the Atten is a little more pricey than the Wagner, although it also has controls for temperature/air pressure and a selection of tips for SMD work. Certainly not professional grade equipment; but it does the job so who cares.

You may have noticed your reply comment appeared above the first post - that issue has been fixed.

Re: Mini-Tip: Hot Air Gun 7 years 3 months ago #10909

• Jon Chandler
The chip was $3.86 and was part of a larger order. I usually use USPS Priority Mail, so the cost is pretty reasonable. I don't think Digikey has a minimum order charge anymore, so the shipping for a small quantity of stuff is about $5.

After I did this yesterday, I decided to order a hot air rework station. I remembered that Sure Electronics had a low cost unit which was the Atten 858D. I went with the type with the airpump in the base, like this one. I don't know if one type is better than the other, but I got a good price on this one and it was in the US. Besides, "Rancho Cucamonga" (where it's shipping from) is just fun to say

Re: Mini-Tip: Hot Air Gun 6 years 4 months ago #13191

• zmb
  • Fresh Boarder
I haven't had any luck with clones.. I usually spend the extra money and stick with the wagner. Practicing on junk boards is great advice for beginners.
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds