Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Home Brew PCB Techiques

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 5 months ago #6927

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
Wow Jon, that looks really nice and you'd be hard-pressed to know it wasn't a professionally produced board.

Did you use a drill press for the holes? From the other pictures they all look to be perfectly located in the pads.

Once again, nice job!
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon G

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 5 months ago #6928

• Jon G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 33
Thanks! I really take pride in having had it turn out the way it did, I must say I was amazed. It's one of those things you can't stop looking at, well I can't. haha

The holes aren't actually drilled yet in the first photos I posted and unfortunately I don't have any photos of the board with holes but without solder. Next time!

I will say, I was dead on when I drilled them. I basically used a drill press to drill the holes. (it was actually one of these but freehand like a normal drill press) Overkill and not enough bit speed, but it worked.

I'm going to be experimenting with placing some index holes on the next board and running the drilling ops on my DIY mini cnc machine. I've messed with the process a few times before and it works quite well. My tactic will be: Place an index hole in each corner of the board in Eagle, drill one corner index hole on the cnc machine and place a small peg in it, zero x and y on machine, move cnc to other corner index hole location (in code) and pivot the board until the other index mark lines up with the bit, drill and peg. From there I should be able to run the drilling program.

Also, I am using these bits for drilling: http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-s ... 44924.html

I'm not a massive Harbor Freight fan, but I'm also cheap and these do the trick nicely as long as you use them as they are intended to be used. 30K rpm + a tool with runout + tiny bits = SNAP. Hence me using the milling machine previously.

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 5 months ago #6929

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
The Harbor Freight bits look great. Besides, it makes you cry a little less when you hear that tang of the bit snapping off!

CNC machine. I'm envious! That will be fun to watch in action.

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 5 months ago #6930

• MrDEB
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 14
Your using an inkjet to print your pattern?
In all the stuff I have run across, inkjet ink won't withstand liquid (enchant) as it is not waterproof.
As far as cost of the PULSAR method, You only use a section of the paper for your design depending on board size.
Curious as to your toner transfer method.
Always looking for a different method to do a process, be it better or not. Won't know without trying.

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 5 months ago #6932

• Jon G
  • Fresh Boarder
Yep, *crack* oops *grab another* I did not break any using the drill press though. It's pretty simple really. Center the bit, hold the board tight and steady, drill, retract. Breaking them typically occurs as soon as any lateral force is applied. The larger bits are beefy enough to handle some of this though.

I must admit, for the price, they are pretty darn good. Sometimes you'll get the odd end-mill in there too which is kinda cool. Often there will also be some SUPER tiny ones... I'm talking, hair thin. They are practically useless, though I've drilled through a glass bottle with one just to see if I could do it. Dribble glass anyone?

If drilling the pcb on the machine works I'll shoot a quick video of it. In the near future I will be making the actual driver boards for the machine. (FINALLY) Hopefully it'll be drilling it's own boards, little rep-rap action going on...

Routing the boards on it is not worth the time, I've tried. It's cool, but the toner transfer process is far simpler and cheaper. (bits, etc)

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 5 months ago #6933

• Jon G
  • Fresh Boarder
Your using an inkjet to print your pattern?
In all the stuff I have run across, inkjet ink won't withstand liquid (enchant) as it is not waterproof.

First off, I actually answered this (well corrected you) earlier on when I said]You may have misread though... The paper I am using is "inkjet paper" but I'm printing on it with a laser printer.[/quote]

So to answer you more directly... I am using a laser printer.

Secondly, inkjet on paper will not work... (not what I'm doing) However, you can actually print directly onto a PCB with an inkjet printer using yellow ink. Why yellow I am not sure. Here is a link to some info on that: http://hackaday.com/2009/09/02/direct-t ... -printing/ Lots of articles about that, you should do some searching... some interesting stuff to be found on it.
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds