Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Home Brew PCB Techiques

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 4 months ago #6966

• MrDEB
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 14
experimented w/ a scrap section of board.
Painted w/ gray primer
applied an old circuit board pattern using Pulsar paper (had a small section not being used.
Applied to board, cooled then removed paper
applied the white foil and BAM! it works
Now I need to purchase some black primer, wait for my PULSAR shipment and finish up the board.
Will post when done.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 4 months ago #6972

• Jon G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 33
Cool.

You should gather up all the info you have compiled about your process and then post the entire thing in a new thread. That way if someone would like to see it, they can find it under the proper subject. We've already got a lot of information in this thread that will probably never been seen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Chandler, W4GNS

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 4 months ago #6981

• MrDEB
  • User is blocked
Well the paint idea with the foil silk screen idea went south.
Here is what I ended up with White board w/ Red silk screen. Not too shabby IMO
I need to configure the lighting different when taking pics of projects.
Now to populate, finish testing then insert a PIC
and as the smoke rises from Salmon, Idaho -- LOL
Attachments:

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 4 months ago #6980

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
MrDEB, you might want to increase the isolation clearance between your traces and the fill. Since the etching isn't entirely clean, it looks like you have some really tight clearances if not outright shorts.

[Edit] Also, with the tight clearances and not having solder mask, I would have a really tough time assembling the board without numerous shorts. [/Edit]

When I use a fill, I use it as a ground plane or power plane. Makes it handy to tie all the points together. Floating (i.e., not connected to anything) islands of copper can cause noise problems in some circuits.

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 4 months ago #6982

• MrDEB
  • User is blocked
You hit the nail on the head!!!
assembling the board and checking eack connection as I go and YES the clearance is TOOOOO close
I moved some resistors over a smigen and increased the clearance to .040 but won't do me any good for this board. Going to make the best of it. So far no shorts but having to correct a few here and there.
Using an LED w/ battery to test each solder joint as I go. Makes trouble shooting easier later.
IF I do another board (probably will, will go with more clearance and look at using the pour as a ground plane. Didn't occur to me to do it.

Re: Introduction and Thanks 8 years 4 months ago #6983

• Jon G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 33
You may save yourself some time and boards too by looking over your circuit thoroughly after transferring but before etching. If something is wrong you can either correct it or start over.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds