Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: PCB Fabrication Sources

Re: PCB Fabrication Sources 8 years 5 months ago #6739

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
You must order in lots of 10 for this special from Itead Studios. Ten 5cm x 5 cm boards will cost you $16 ($12 + $4 shipping).

Ten 10 cm x 10 cm boards are $38 including shipping.

For these prices, 5 of the boards are electrically tested and known to be good. Five are not tested or guaranteed so there might be issues but on a simple board, you probably end up with 10 good ones.

Re: PCB Fabrication Sources 8 years 5 months ago #6740

• sarge
  • Fresh Boarder
You must order in lots of 10 for this special from Itead Studios. Ten 5cm x 5 cm boards will cost you $16 ($12 + $4 shipping).

Ten 10 cm x 10 cm boards are $38 including shipping.

For these prices, 5 of the boards are electrically tested and known to be good. Five are not tested or guaranteed so there might be issues but on a simple board, you probably end up with 10 good ones.

Thanks for help!

Re: PCB Fabrication Sources 8 years 5 months ago #6757

• Jon Chandler
Dave Jones of EEV Blog fame recently had some boards fabricated at Itead Studios. He was initially ecstatic about the price but wasn't so happy when he assembled one of the boards and it didn't work.

See the whole story in his video blog.

There are a few lessons learned here - the biggest being "Don't push the technology too much on cheap boards." Itead's specs are for a minimum 6 mil trace/space (0.006" track width and space between copper) which didn't hold up in a ground plane fill. I usually use 10 mil trace/space just to be safe which doesn't push the technology at any fab house. Dave had tight spacing with a ground plane fill on what looks to be a header with 2 mm spacing.

I'm not going to change my recommendation but I will suggest not pushing the specs too hard.

Re: PCB Fabrication Sources 8 years 5 months ago #6760

• Jon Chandler
Here's a webpage of Itead "Quirks" which should be considered before ordering.

Re: PCB Fabrication Sources 8 years 5 months ago #6779

• novec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 1
Would like to add Olimex: http://olimex.com/pcb/

€30 for double sided euro board (160 x 100 mm), €24 for single sided. Quad euro boards (320 x 200 mm) are available for four times the price. Price break for 5+ and 12+ euro boards, 2+ and 4+ quad boards.

Price includes everything, no "hidden fees" except reasonable shipping and small fees for non-standard drill sizes, more than 500 holes per euro board and a few other things that are clearly stated. Free panelizing and separation, but no contour milling. They also have 50 sq.dm (for example 500 x 1000 mm) for €300/€240 with choice of colors, contour routing etc. if you're going big.

Track/trace: 8 mil
Drills: 0.6-5.0 mm (24-200 mils)
More info on their page

I've ordered about 15 euro boards from them, and they've all been of great quality and delivered (to Norway) within ~10 days.

Re: PCB Fabrication Sources 8 years 5 months ago #6781

• Jon Chandler
I have some personal issues with Olimex coming from support problems with one of their USB programmers, so my comments here may be a little biased. Be warned.

Comparing their DSQ service to PCBGeeks which has a similar service:

PCBGeeks: As many boards as will fit in a 200 sq inch panel, including shipping: US$99

Olimex DSQ: As many boards as will fit in a 98 sq inch panel, including shipping: US$199.

Note that this is for half the quantity of boards. For approximately the same quantity as PCBGeeks, the price jumps to US$366!

I know many people use Olimex and are happy with the results but the prices are high compared to the available alternatives.
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds