Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Game

Re: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Game 7 years 5 months ago #15685

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
[Aurthor's Note]

Having your own web site used to be a daunting task, beyond the reach of casual users. Expensive hardware and software or costly hosting services were required to get a web site on line. Design of a web page required complicated software and an extensive knowledge of HTML to design nice looking pages.

I'm happy to report that recent technology has changed this situation so that nearly anyone can afford to have a nice looking web site! You might be surprised to learn that the total cost to have your own web page is only about $10/year! And no costly software is required to create the pages for the site.

Domain registration, hosting, page creation software? How can the web site cost only $10/year?

Read full article...

Re: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Ga 7 years 5 months ago #10409

• Jon Chandler
I received this email at my Clever4Hire address.
Doug in the woods wrote]

I'm not sure if MrDEB was trying to hide out but at any rate it made a good reason to republish this article which some people may find useful.

Re: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Ga 7 years 5 months ago #10408

Ohh how I miss the days of $10/mth on the shared server; the monthly cost of DD is now over US$100/mth for a private server (we stepped out of the budget shared servers last year). Sure it's not the fastest private server, but considering the site is revenue free..!

All that said, it's a great hobby, I honestly enjoy the challenges the site (and you guys) throw at me!

Here's an example of a new website that has been added to the pool of billions:

I recently setup a site for a friend who has shown great initiative for fund-raising. In short, his vision is called "ROPE" Running On PurposE. Each event he selects a marathon to complete and an organisation to fund-raise for. From there he gathers donations and runners to complete the marathon. Of course each runner that takes part has their own group of supporters (which contribute to the 'ROPE' cause). A trusted "in-between" such as EveryDayHero is used to handle the money (so everyone knows that nothing dodgy going on!)

It has been done before, I know. The fact is he has been actively doing this for a few years. I tip my hat to him.

It is the early days for the web-presence venture, and already social media has helped him increase ROPE's exposure. Epilepsy Australia (the selected organisation for the next ROPE month) stumbled onto the site and want to help him anyway they can - media exposure, clothing etc.

The site set him back $30 (domain registration for a few years) and I host the site on this server at no cost. His driving goal is to exceed the previous events' fund-raising efforts. Already ROPE has gone from three or four additional runners to 8 and counting - I've no doubt that when the fund-raising campaign begins that this will be a new record that ROPE can only move forward from!

Re: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Ga 7 years 5 months ago #10412

• MrDEB
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 14
Just looking for advice on server options.
Right now looking at NETFIRMS. I had a site hosted by them 8 years ago and was fairly happy.
Other option is GO DADDY.com but have read opinions about billing issues etc.
Open to any suggestions.
Need to have PAYPAL included so a commerce site?
MrDEB hiding out in the woods of Salmon, Idaho

Re: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Ga 7 years 5 months ago #10414

• Jon Chandler
I realized last night that I should have emphasized that a free site hosted by Google does have many limitations. Among them:

1. You can't run server-side applications that provide many of the awesome features of Digital-DIY.

2. You can't use Java script functions.

3. You're limited pretty much to the layouts offered by Google. There are a lot of options, but you have to stick to their basic schemes.

4. Bandwidth and number of users are limited.

This being said, you can still accomplish a lot. The ThrowAwapPIC pages and the Clever4Hire site are hosted by Google for free and the domain registry is about $10/year.

The online store on the ThowAwayPIC page is done using Google Checkout. No problems at all except that it cant handle international shipping.

Re: Building a Web Site - New Technology is Changing The Ga 7 years 5 months ago #10415

• Jon Chandler
Just looking for advice on server options.
Right now looking at NETFIRMS. I had a site hosted by them 8 years ago and was fairly happy.
Other option is GO DADDY.com but have read opinions about billing issues etc.
Open to any suggestions.
Need to have PAYPAL included so a commerce site?
MrDEB hiding out in the woods of Salmon, Idaho

MrDEB, I really get the feeling that you didn't read this article at all. There's not a thing in this post that leads me to believe you did.

I don't know why I continue to waste my time but I hope that others will find the information I presented useful.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds