Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

Poll: Moderator Feedback

Sous vide thread had reached a point of diminishing returns and should have been locked 5 50%
Sous vide thread was a valuable on-going discussion and locking was uncalled for 1 10%
Forum threads should stay on-topic. Off-topic comments should be moved to a new thread 2 20%
Forum thread topics are a guideline but anything goes 2 20%
Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Bash the Moderator

Re: Bash the Moderator 8 years 3 months ago #15759

• Jon Chandler
  • Thanks received: 352
This is your chance. Bash the moderator and tell him how unfair he is! Your comments are welcome.

As a moderator to Digital-DIY, there are a few things I like to see in the forums:
    Posts in a thread relate to the topic. This makes it easier to find information in the future without reading through pages of non-related posts.

Posts about a given topic should be in the same thread or clearly recognizable threads. This makes it easier to follow progress and to find information. If there's some point I want to check about XYZ, posts shouldn't be spread out all over the place. It's very difficult to follow events if posts are scattered across numerous threads.

Threads should be somewhat relevant to Digital-DIY and not bogged down in endless arguments about the same points. There was no "meeting of the minds" in the sous vide thread nor was there likely to be, so it was locked.

In some ways I feel like I'm wasting my time worrying about stuff like this but on the other hand, most posters on Digital-DIY seem to understand the program.

Now is your chance to tell me to keep it up, knock it off, or anything else you'd like. Please keep the comments civil and be polite. This topic is about my actions as moderator and is not the place to make comments about other members of Digital-DIY.

Thanks. Send me a PM if you'd rather not share your comments publically. I do appreciate the feedback.

Jon

Re: Bash the Moderator 8 years 3 months ago #8171

• Jon Chandler
Be sure to look at the poll at the top of the thread.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Bash the Moderator 8 years 3 months ago #8182

• be80be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 90
Maybe it would be better in a Blog

Kind regards be80be

Re: Bash the Moderator 8 years 3 months ago #8187

• Jon Chandler
49 people have viewed this topic but only 4 have taken the effort to vote in the poll at the top of this thread. That suggests more than the vote do...

Perhaps it really doesn't matter.

Re: Bash the Moderator 8 years 3 months ago #8188

• MMcLaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 30
49 people have viewed this topic but only 4 have taken the effort to vote in the poll at the top of this thread. That suggests more than the vote do...

Perhaps it really doesn't matter.

Sorry Jon. I read this thread but it didn't have context for me since I haven't read the other thread (title of the other thread seemed boring, yawn).

Regards, Mike

Re: Bash the Moderator 8 years 3 months ago #8195

• Jon G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 33
I'm very curious as to why someone might think this "Forum thread topics are a guideline but anything goes" is even a valid option... It actually borders on concerning.

As members of this forum we are all responsible for it's content. Many people have already come and gone looking for information to help them with some project that ultimately lead them here, most likely based on a search. Matrices, Tetris on a PIC, Power Monitors, Power Supplies, Swordfish, the list goes on and on... Dead end topics where people can't seem to listen and simply go in circles do nothing more than drive people away. Why would a non-member want to get involved in a discussion like that? Likewise, I'm sure that those of us that actually search for info online have all run into dead end topics in our quests for information. We all know how annoying that can be.

Let's not be one of 'those' forums... Remember, members of this site are not the only people reading the messages here and you may not be the only person needing help with <insert crazy project here>.
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds