Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anti-Spam

Re: Anti-Spam 8 years 7 months ago #15510

Almost daily I've had to delete spam from DD - and sometimes it's quite vulgar stuff that I'd prefer didn't stay online for any period of time. Unfortunately no matter what I do to prevent bots, there are folk out there who are determined enough to bypass my efforts.

While I have no issues deleting spam on a daily basis, Jon and I may not see posts for lengths of time. If you would like to help out with keeping Digital DIY clean-cut and responsive to spam removal, please reply-post here and I will add you to the "Anti-Spam" group!

The call to duty will rarely present itself if a number of people are actively keeping an eye on content!

Re: Anti-Spam 8 years 7 months ago #6462

• W4GNS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 43
Sign me up, I HATE spam, I'm retired also, so have plenty of time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Graham Mitchell

Re: Anti-Spam 8 years 7 months ago #6467

• bitfogav
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 53
you can count me in too Graham

Anti-Spam 8 years 7 months ago #6474

• dman776
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 4
I'm in too

Re: Anti-Spam 8 years 7 months ago #6483

• dman776
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 4
FWIW,
One technique that works very well is add a custom user profile field.

ie. What is twelve added to nothing?
Then, you limit the only acceptable choice to 12.

That has dramatically cut spam registrations on my phpBB site.

Re: Anti-Spam 8 years 7 months ago #6485

Cheers - I've trailed additional anti-spam questions (in addition to recaptcha), though they still slip through the cracks.

I may have just hit the nail on the head for a scalable solution for preventing spam.. Any new member to Digital DIY will find their posts are sent to a moderator queue. Their post can be approved by anyone in a moderator group, which includes everyone that replied to this topic (you all are now in the 'Queue Moderators' group).

The queue can be found in Moderator Control Panel > Moderation Queue. (MCP link at top left of any page).

After their first post has been approved, the new member will automatically be upgraded to a normal account. Free of moderation. Note - they need at least one post approved before this occurs.

While this is a small hit for new members, it prevents any one-time spammers with nothing of value for the site. Hopefully with a few mods keeping an eye on things, time taken for a post to be approved would be minimal.

NB - It can be compromised, although it takes a hell of a lot of effort.
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds