- Published: Saturday, 29 January 2011
- Written by Graham Mitchell
- Hits: 4270
This product surfaced at DD thanks to a recent discussion by dmtulsa.
Tag-Connect [link] eliminates the need for a programming header or other mating connectors on PCBs. This is achieved by using spring pins (rated for 100,000) operations to make secure connection to a small footprint pattern of pads and locating holes on your PCB.
The footprint takes up as little as 0.02 square inches, allowing the footprint to be placed right beside the MCU (if desired).
Tag-Connect cables provide a simple, reliable means of connecting Debuggers and Programmers or other test equipment to your PCB’s while lowering board costs and facilitating efficient production programming.
- ZERO Cost per Board!
- Directly compatible with MPLAB REAL ICE, MPLAB ICD 3 and MPLAB ICD 2
- No mating connector required on PCB!
- Tiny footprint!
- High Reliability Pogo Spring Pins for Secure Connection!
- Rugged Design for Highly Repetitive Use!
- Designed so it can only be inserted the correct way round!
- Two versions both designed to cut your costs, save you time, and save space on your PCBs!
- At the time of writing the Tag-Connect was US$29.95
If you own one of these (or something similar) I'd like to hear any feedback you have about the device and/or the method used for ICSP + ICD.
What I'd really like to see is a device that is compatible (or easily modified) for PICKit programmers (cheaper would be good as well). In addition, an internal RS232-UART or USB-UART converter to allow a direct interface with bootloaders. Now we're talking.